Guitars101 - Guitar Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One time I was playing in a three piece band doing jazz and rock improvisations. I was practicing every day doing scales and exercises at least four hours. At that time I was playing with a drummer whom we just met, we rehersed once and went out to do Wednesday nights at a place called The Surf Villa in Surf City New Jersey. We were partnered up with a bass player whom I had jammed with for years and years. The bass player and I could always tell where the jams were going from familiarity with each others mindsets.

Anyways we were in the middle of a 20 minute improvisational piece which probably ranged from country to jazz to blues to rock, and probably went from time signature to time signature as the bassist was always throwing in those kinds of things. At one point in the song the drummer just stopped playing, after a bit I looked over at him to see what was up, and I saw him staring at me for perhaps ten to fifteen seconds, then he picked it back up again and after a few more minutes we ran out of steam on that particular improvisation. After that set he came up to me in the bar somewhere and he says "I have to apologize for dropping out on that last tune but what you were playing was so beautiful, I kinda lost it and could not play there for a few minutes".

What a head rush that gave me, I never really cared what the audience thought of what we were doing, I made my living in construction, and music was my art and my hobby, and I never wanted to compromise my art for money or adulation. What I did care about was the respect from my peers in my craftsmanship on my instrument. That night, I got from one of the tastiest drummers the compliment of my entire musical odessey. That guy, named Jimmy from Newark New Jersey, a hair dresser by trade, was one of the most melodic and tasteful drummers I ever played with or in fact ever heard. He played a very small kit and he played very little in the way of drum beats but he could play like an angel. I never saw him again after that night and that was in the early seventies or even sooner. What a rush it was to get that compliment. That was the best moment ever for me at a gig.

·
Ear Candy Distributor
10,253 Posts
I got to play here (see pic) when I was 21 years old. It was my Mecca...I saw Rush, Thin Lizzy, Be Bop Deluxe, 10cc, Rory Gallagher, Black Sabbath, Van Halen, Yes, Camel, April Wine, Triumph...and I got to play there supporting Atomic Rooster in 1983. It was unbelievable for me and I haven't got a single photo of the day...this one is Rush. :irk:

·
Registered
950 Posts
so far its been playing guitar while my uncle played piano in a big tent at a fair. their was mabye 40 people.. not too many. then we played others with the drummer and the bass player and they weren't so good cause the drummer wanted to be louder than us, and assumed complete control of the sound

·
Da Blooze Guy
5,842 Posts
Got to play outdoors for about 12,000 people. I had never played in front of more that 75 at that time. Our set of rock came after 90 minutes of freeform jazz, it was hot, the beer was flowing, and the people were ready to rock, greatest time I ever had.

·
Registered
7,602 Posts
I guess the only thing I can think of as magical was playing at a friend's party across the road and one of my friend's girlfriend did the whole "Wayne's World 'We're Not Worthy' Bow" at my feet which started everyone off doing it for a while. That was a buzz. Then everyone paid real close attention and really enjoyed it after that.

Other than that, I was the singer as me and a couple of guitarists went to Lincoln for a jam night. Can't remember what the pub was called, but it was a real rocky one.

We did Nothing Else Matters, Every Rose Has It's Thorn and Wanted Dead Or Alive.

When we finished, we got talking to two 40 year old rockers who had seen it all and done it all. They said that there was nothing wrong with us at all, just our PA system let us down.

That was a confidence boost !

:thumb:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.