Guitars101 - Guitar Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I like to try and get things looking as accurate as i can,so i made a decal from scratch,took ages.The thing about the replica's made by Charley's were that they were not really very accurate,if youre gonna make a replica it should look like the real thing as much as possible.
I had one pic of this to copy from...it was in a book and i needed a magnifying glass to see it...not sure about the made in usa part tho,i couldnt make out the words.

Im gonna leave it settle for a few days,then start the clear coats.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Amazing detail! which kind of wood does charley have for the fretboard? ebony or rosewood?
Where did you get all the details from, i.e. the look of decal? (Which book did you use?)

I really keen on building this guitar as a replica, maybe you could explain the specs(body wood etc.) and how accurate they are to the original. I was thinking warmoth.

Another question: where did you get the body and pickups from and did you have to repaint the body? DId you use nitro?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks SeicheNZ.
Well,all the stuff ive read says Charley has an ebony fretboard,but ive seen pics and it almost looks like rosewood...so thats what ive gone with for now,a dark rosewood board.Maybe i'll stain it,i dont know yet.
The decal was real hard to do,lol!
I found a pic online,but it was took in sunlight so half the letters were missing.Anyways,i got tracing paper,traced it off the screen,scanned it,put it thru paintshop,coloured it,added the extra words,resized it and then printed it out.Never again,lol!.
Im not sure what body wood Charley has,ive gone with ash for mine.
I got the body and pups off ebay,i sprayed it myself with flip-flop paint and laquered it.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
put final coat of laquer on headstock,gonna leave it a week before i add some wear marks...

Ive started work on the back of the neck...took some finish off and added a few scrapes and stuff...

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok,i waited a while then put the hardware on and strung it up,lol!
The laquer still needs a few weeks to harden,so i kept the tuner ferrules clear of it...anyways,the guitars finished :)

The pups surprised me a bit,ive never had a guitar with lipsticks before,the neck pup in particular sounds killer.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey,

looks really good! why didn't you just use the logo off their website and recolor it? http://charleysguitar.com/images/CGLogo.jpg

I find it pretty difficult finding a hardtail body online...
which pu's did you use? real danelectros, seymour duncans, or gfs?
so are you happy with the result? gonna use it for gigs?
Charley's looks are the tits. You never see guitars like it anywhere else, everyone just plays plain sunburst and black strats... :D

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hey SeicheNZ,
I didnt use the logo off their site cos i needed a more high-def one to work with...so i made my own.
I put kent armstrongs in it,but im thinking about changing them...the neck and middle sound good,but the bridge is weak.
I am happy with it yeah....its turned out out.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Really nice...I don't think he typically used the treble pick-up when he used this guitar.What is the tune that you can think of that best exemplifies his use of this guitar? For me it is the first section of the "Couldn't Stand The Weather" solo...I think he switches guitars for the last half...I know he used it in New Orleans for the extended "Couldn't Stand The Weather" on the Natchez broadcast on MTV and it sounds amazing...Of course "Life Without You" was written for Charley and played exclusively on this guitar (if you don't count the Unplugged version)...For fun-here I am with the man in June of 1990:) I am 18 with a head full of hair-it ain't there no mo'!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks again garbeaj,
Yep,i think 'life without you' exemplifies it.
Thats cool you got to meet Stevie,i bet that memory will live with you forever.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts