Guitars101 - Guitar Forums banner
  • Hello guitar enthusiasts! We are pleased to announce an Ask Me Anything discussion thread with Dutch musician Arjen Lucassen. The AMA will be going live on Tuesday, August 10th, and will run until August 12th, and can be found here. Don't miss out!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Though I'd post some pics of my gear, den/music room, etc. Lot of nice pics on this board, inspired me to share.
Gear:
Martin DXM Dreadnought

Black Fender Squire with maple neck, rosewood fretboard, w/Semour Duncan Quarter Pound Bridge p/u [I love this guitar! It has a great neck, stays in tune, even when I abuse the whammy bar. A little Browning ultra fine-gun oil in the right spots works miracles.....The intonation is dead on...and the Duncan pickup kicks butt]

1978 Aria Pro II Japocaster w/Duncan Hotrails Bridge p/u, Cool Rails Neck p/u. I bought it down in Alabama in 1979, brand new, in a mom and pop music stoor, needed a Strat. I had a '76 Gibson ES335 at the time [wish I had kept it], needed a second guitar and wanted that Strat tone. I dropped the Duncan quarter pounder in there, and used it with an original Pro-Co Rat, awesome sound!. Original color was a natural walnut stain with a dragon carved [not painted] in the body. It was pretty beat up after 27 years, so I stripped it down and refinished it a few weeks ago, new hardware, pickups, etc. It's the only guitar I've had this long. I just love it.

Alpine White Les Paul Studio. I flat out love this guitar.....awsome tone..neck is different than what I'm used to, but after a few minutes it feels comfortable.

Digitech GNX3, run it to the "effects in" on the Roland Cube 60. I bought this amp as a back up in 1980, still works great. I by-pass the preamp and use the modeling and effects on the GNX3.

Marshall G30R 30 watt combo amp, plenty loud for my 10x12 room.

The speaker stacks are for my stereo. When I crank it up and play a backing track through them, it feels like I'm playing a full band....Ringing ears and all!!

Thanks for looking at my pics!
Draegon

·
Registered
323 Posts
nice setup man ....Im not an acoustic player, but i have had my hands on a few ..Martin being one ...gotta love the Martins. :thumb:

·
Registered
495 Posts
Nice!!!!!!

Cool stuff dude!! I have the GNX2 and tried just using the effects thru Fender de Ville effects loop w/ no luck. It makes lots of humming noise. Would you mind sharing me your techniques or the way you hook it up? PLEASE? THANX.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
NEBFLOYD said:
Cool stuff dude!! I have the GNX2 and tried just using the effects thru Fender de Ville effects loop w/ no luck. It makes lots of humming noise. Would you mind sharing me your techniques or the way you hook it up? PLEASE? THANX.
Not sure on the GNX2 Neb, but with the GNX3 you select your target system in the Utility mode. I use the "Intput to the effect return of a 1x12 combo". If found this to be an important step. Since the GNX series has its own pre-amp, I find that by-passing the pre-amp on the amplifier gives you a quieter signal. I just use the master volume on the amp and adjust the output levels for the patch I'm using to get the quietest signal. I also tweak the gain, eq, effects, etc. It takes some time but once you get your favorite patches locked in it's worth it.
It also depends on your pickups. Standard Strat pickups will hum lot no matter what I do. The Squire I have doesn't have much shielding at all, so I'm going to do that this weekend. If that doesn't work I'm thinking of installing "noiseless" single coil pickups. The Les Paul and the Aria Pro II with the Duncan Rails are pretty quiet, don't have to much problem with noise.
Your computer monitor also adds to the noise if it's close enough to your guitar. Try turning if off, especially if your using single coil pickups.
Hope this helps. Let me know what your set up is and I might be able to offer some suggestions if you still have problems.

Draegon

·
Registered
22 Posts
DraegonT said:
Though I'd post some pics of my gear, den/music room, etc. Lot of nice pics on this board, inspired me to share.
Gear:
Martin DXM Dreadnought

Black Fender Squire with maple neck, rosewood fretboard, w/Semour Duncan Quarter Pound Bridge p/u [I love this guitar! It has a great neck, stays in tune, even when I abuse the whammy bar. A little Browning ultra fine-gun oil in the right spots works miracles.....The intonation is dead on...and the Duncan pickup kicks butt]

1978 Aria Pro II Japocaster w/Duncan Hotrails Bridge p/u, Cool Rails Neck p/u. I bought it down in Alabama in 1979, brand new, in a mom and pop music stoor, needed a Strat. I had a '76 Gibson ES335 at the time [wish I had kept it], needed a second guitar and wanted that Strat tone. I dropped the Duncan quarter pounder in there, and used it with an original Pro-Co Rat, awesome sound!. Original color was a natural walnut stain with a dragon carved [not painted] in the body. It was pretty beat up after 27 years, so I stripped it down and refinished it a few weeks ago, new hardware, pickups, etc. It's the only guitar I've had this long. I just love it.

Alpine White Les Paul Studio. I flat out love this guitar.....awsome tone..neck is different than what I'm used to, but after a few minutes it feels comfortable.

Digitech GNX3, run it to the "effects in" on the Roland Cube 60. I bought this amp as a back up in 1980, still works great. I by-pass the preamp and use the modeling and effects on the GNX3.

Marshall G30R 30 watt combo amp, plenty loud for my 10x12 room.

The speaker stacks are for my stereo. When I crank it up and play a backing track through them, it feels like I'm playing a full band....Ringing ears and all!!

Thanks for looking at my pics!
Draegon
Whats your opinion on the GNX3...Im looking at one!!!

·
Registered
495 Posts
Yo da MAN!!!!

Hey DraegonT, THANX so much for the help. I just got back from a month vacation, so I'll try your cool suggestions as soon as I can and will let you know what happens and my set up. AGAIN, THANX A MILLION.:thumb:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts