Guitars101 - Guitar Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Yankees Suck!
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My first \"Frankie\"

Well, I guess I'll post my latest project. Did this just as a test to see if it could really be done with just some Krylon spray paint.

Here's the original guitar. Can't tell in the pic, but it's sort of a light gold sparkle. Not sure of the make, but I think it might be a Jackson.

Attachments

·
Yankees Suck!
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Re: My first \"Frankie\"

Next, I shot the guitar black. I took some pics, but they came out horrible, so here's a pic of the black with tape in place right before I shot the white.

Attachments

·
Yankees Suck!
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Tried to take some pics of the white and black, but the batteries went dead in the camera.

So here's a couple of the final result. The paint and clear still has the "orange peel" look, because I still have to wait a few weeks to sand it out and buff it.

Attachments

·
Yankees Suck!
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

May not be the greatest, but I just did it as a test to see if it could really be done as easily as the book I bought said it could. Surprisingly, it can.

Current project is a copy of Zakk Wylde's bullseye Les Paul. Will post those when done.

·
Yankees Suck!
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

I just took these a few minutes ago. The greenish reflection is from the sun reflecting off of the grass. Everything is done, I just need to wait for the paint to settle before wetsanding the clear and buffing.

·
Yankees Suck!
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Thanks, folks. That was my first. Next up is the Zakk bullseye. Can't wait to see how that one comes out.

·
Registered
243 Posts

Hey man, that looks dynomite. how's that paint holding up.....how many coats of each color did you use and did you sand in between colors? Then wetsand after the clear then clear coat again?
I'm trying to get some pointers on painting my flying V.. Maybe with polka dots....
Thanks for any advice, I'm ready for my first paint job. Out.

·
Scandinavian noise maker!
2,767 Posts

Ah stripes...hehe good job, I am anxious to see it buffed and all.

·
Yankees Suck!
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

[ QUOTE ]
El_jalepeno said:
What is your timeline for getting the Zakk Bull's Eye painted?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm doing the sanding sealer right now, so if that goes well, about 3 weeks before it's all said and done. It's only 2 colors, but the big thing is going to be laying out the circles. I will definately post pics of that when done.

·
Yankees Suck!
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

[ QUOTE ]
rasputin said:
Hey man, that looks dynomite. how's that paint holding up.....how many coats of each color did you use and did you sand in between colors? Then wetsand after the clear then clear coat again?
I'm trying to get some pointers on painting my flying V.. Maybe with polka dots....
Thanks for any advice, I'm ready for my first paint job. Out.

[/ QUOTE ]

Since finishing the clear, I'm just letting it hang for about 6 or 7 weeks before wetsanding and buffing. I check it every day, and it seems to get a little better each day as the paint settles and breathes through. When they say don't set it down or put it in a stand or even wetsand and buff until a good 2 months after, they mean it! I set it down in my aprtment for about 10 minutes before taking the outside pics, and theclear was still a little soft (after 3 days) and the carpet grain made a small indent in a patch on the bottom by the rear strap button.
It doesn't look too deep, so I should be able to take it out when wetsanding.

I shot about 5 coats of gray primer, 6 coats of black, 6 coats of white, 6 coats of red, then about 25 coats of clear. Didn't sand between coats or colors, as the Krylon seems to spray and hold up really well. The only thing I can tell you is to remember to use thin coats. My numbers are just what I needed to use. Other guitars and colors may need more.

·
Registered
243 Posts

You answered my questions perfectly, I Appreciate the pointers Steve,,,Keep up the NIce work.

·
Banned
488 Posts

Kool

1 - 20 of 22 Posts