Guitars101 - Guitar Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, friends, I've been trying to talk myself out of posting this song for fear of embarassment. This is my first original in about 4 years...no really...I'm not kidding! Some of you know I've been a Rhythm guitarist in cover bands for over 15 years and have taken comfort in playing great covers. Although I've played some solos to cover songs, usually in major pentatonic.............I've NEVER considered myself a lead solo guitarist at all! In fact, I HATE my solos most of the time because I lack certain skills and theory knowledge.

I realize my soloing is very amateur compared to alot of members here on the forum and probably just adequate at best but what the Hell.........am I at least on the right track? I've been working hard to improve my transistions but my phrasing probably stinks....well here goes nothing. I think this song would best be judged by feeling rather than my playing .....a few bad notes in there and its in a MINOR key
...........Hope someone likes it. I'm sweating and about to Hurl...
It's called "The Suffering".

Sorry I don't remember who made the drum track but it's great and was just what I was looking for!

·
Premium Member
1,944 Posts
No need to be nervous. It's stuff like this that prove why you're one of my favorites on this board. I loved it.

·
Registered
472 Posts
I didn't think it was too bad, prolly a lot better than I could do. I hate trying to take solos and listening to some of the players on this site can be very intimidating. All in all I would say that it's not too bad and you appear to be on the right track, you did convey some feeling and emotion there.

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
It's pretty good Riff....sure every note is not perfectly in key...but so what? The playing and tone was great. When you get lost just start and end your runs with "D"

·
Ear Candy Distributor
10,268 Posts
Gotta say mate..nice tone for this and, yeah, you slip out of key a few times BUT if you can sort these scales out, you have the feel for this so don't be down on yourself. I thought some of your bends were beautiful and show your ears are good so it's just trying to know when the scale changes slightly to a harmonic minor at the bottom of the run and you'll be sorted. For your first time in 4 years, I'd say you did a fookin' wicked job

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys...back to the drawing board eh? Wah can you tell me exactly what scales would fit this tune better than whatever the hell I was doing? Do you have these minor scales in lesson format that you could send me? Seriously, I'm ignorant as all hell about proper scales. I just play what i think sounds close.
I might re-record it with proper scales and transitions if I could just see what notes to play.

Thanks for the honest opinions.

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah thanks CanyonCarver....there are several smelly clams there indeed but its just what I felt at the time and I really didn't clean it up much....punching in notes is sometimes a pain in the ass.
Its not going on an album or anything ....hell who would buy it?

·
Premium Member
1,944 Posts
If it sounds good then it IS good. And this one sounds good.

·
BRAVO TIME
3,143 Posts
i agree w/ vanman!! it's sounds really good.

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks alot guys...My next one will be a heavier, more familiar rock tune. I hope to incorporate some tapping into it that I've been working on. Years of major scale metal playing has kep me from exploring other avenues but I'm slowly trying to make up for it.
How about an "E" for effort?

·
Registered
23 Posts
come greats runs in there RIFF ADDICT ,thought you did a great job,sounds good to me too,hope we don.t have to wait another 4 years for your next effort.Keeps those riffs coming,

·
Playin The Blues
1,990 Posts
Killer feel riff ! I think ya go what it takes ! Keep up the good work ! Im not the best either but thats what this site is for ! We can all learn from each other and together ! I think ya did an excellent job ! Tons of feel !

·
Ear Candy Distributor
10,268 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
Riff Addict said:
Thanks guys...back to the drawing board eh? Wah can you tell me exactly what scales would fit this tune better than whatever the hell I was doing? Do you have these minor scales in lesson format that you could send me? Seriously, I'm ignorant as all hell about proper scales. I just play what i think sounds close.
I might re-record it with proper scales and transitions if I could just see what notes to play.

Thanks for the honest opinions.

[/ QUOTE ]

Let me have a listen with a guitar in my hand tomorrow and I'll see where you can patch it up...you did well mate; lots of feel and if you know me, you'll know thats top.

·
I am a meat popsicle
4,743 Posts
Riff...sounds good man!! Has feel to it and that's the hardest part..the note vocabulary you are using sounds great as well.
Keep em coming man!!

·
Registered
472 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
Riff Addict said:
Yeah thanks CanyonCarver....there are several smelly clams there indeed

[/ QUOTE ]

I, for one, happen to be very fond of smelly clams...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.