Guitars101 - Guitar Forums banner
  • Hello guitar enthusiasts! We are pleased to announce an Ask Me Anything discussion thread with Dutch musician Arjen Lucassen. The AMA will be going live on Tuesday, August 10th, and will run until August 12th, and can be found here. Don't miss out!
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey y'all....
Here is my newest addition to the family....I bought the parts from Musikraft (www.musikraft.com), the best Fender reproduction shop I have seen yet (and if you order stuff from there, tell Jim that Pauly from Jersey sent ya! I told him I would give him some props!).

But seriously, they did an over-the-top job, accomodating some of my more extreme requests, even doing non-standard options that arent (or werent) necessarily available on the website. GREAT STUFF!

Anyway this is a Quilt Maple Top on an Ash body....1975 Fender w/Charvel contours, Purple-burst Nitro finish (if you have been watching ebay at all, you probably saw a close one like this...that one that was on ebay was the 'test' model for this paint job I wanted).
It features a contoured heel and a 2 1/4" Neck pocket.

The neck is a San Dimas replica, birdseye maple with abalone inlays and side dots, and features medium jumbo frets (6150). It has a compound 10-16" radius (I normally go for a 12-16" radius or a flat 14" or something along those lines, but I have been playing alot of Fenders w/10" radius and I liked it, so I tried something different). Also, the nut width is 1 11/16ths BUT it has a 1 5/8" nut (R2) on it.....this is to get the string spacing a little closer together but still give me some room on the edge of the fretboard for bending/pulling without sliding off. Its a nice little trick that works quite well for me. Thin back contour, very similar to the ESPs and Kramers in the 80s but not "Ibanez Wizard Thin".

The bridge is an early/mid 1980s original Floyd Rose that was MINT when I got it. Its flush mounted.

Bridge pickup is an Seymour EVH, courtesy of strat78.

I went for a single coil in the neck, to give it a little more versatility, for some bluesey type stuff, little quack. Its a Dimarzio Area '58, and man oh man does this pickup sound GOOD. No hum, but its a real single coil, quack sound. Unbelievable. Its as good as the website makes it sound.

Tuners are Schaller M-6 minis. Two volumes, no tone, and a 3 way p/up selector switch.

Let me know what ya think (good or bad).

Pauly

Attachments

·
Shredding it up!!!
1,185 Posts
Thats gorgeous!!!! Absolutely beautiful colour man, nice!! :Sylvia:

·
Registered
323 Posts
killer axe man!..gorgeous! :thumb: :thumb:

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Malto Gracis!

Thanks.

My only real "problem" with it is that the neck pocket isnt deep enough to have the neck sit low enough to have the bridge actually touch the body, which I hear considerably improves the tone and sustain.

So, if anyone has any ideas how to be able to screw the Floyd posts in further AND not have the action bottom out on the frets/neck, let me know. I mean, obviously, I could route the neck pocket a little deeper, but Im not skilled enough to do that.

Any advice?

I think that I may just be splitting hairs here, because it looks, plays and sounds better than any other guitar Ive ever played...IT HAS TONE FOR DAYS! It plays better than anything, include early US Kramers, REAL ESP's, high-end Jacksons, Charvel San Dimas's and the EVH Charvel (which IMHO is completely OVERPRICED low-end guitar).

THANKS AGAIN FOR ALL THE COMPLIMENTS!

Now I gotta start woodshedding and gear up for a new song to record to show it off!

P

·
Registered
368 Posts
Looks like some really nice work there Pauly. I like the looks of that burst finish with the quilt. Looking forward to hearing it in action. I took a look at Musikraft's site. Looks like some good stuff but I was not able to figure out what they charge for anything. Did you say they are selling on eBay? I'm always looking for deals on parts. It looks like they might be pricey as in "If you have to ask you can't afford it" :)

Thanks for sharing those photos. Great looking guitar!:thumb:

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
https://musikraft.3dcartstores.com/Strat-Body_p_0-7.html

You have to go to the Order Form and all the prices, as you go through the option will appear.

The Strat bodies start at $155, so they are comparably priced. Plus, you get a top-notch staff and owner who really takes pride in what they do. Jim (the owner) basically listened to what I wanted and steered me in the right direction on alot of options, many of which REDUCED my cost (and his profit). Many phone calls were placed and he even took time that he took out of his lunch break to accomodate me. He got wood that he normally didnt offer and made it a standard option that you can now get. So, in a nutshell, you get knowledgable staff, the closest replicas of the old Fenders that I have seen, and GREAT PAINT OPTIONS like nitro lacquer (Which I dont care what Warmoth says, makes a BIG difference in the tone of the guitar....dont believe me? Try this: http://www.edromanguitars.com/tech/polyvsnitro.htm for a second opinion....and yes, I know, alot of things on Roman's site should come w/ a big grain of salt when you read them....He likes to think that he's the gospel).

If youre thinking of getting a Ed Roman guitar, I was too before I came across the Musikraft site and for what Roman was gonna charge me for ONE Strat "Pearlcaster", I got two CUSTOM spec'd Strat Guitars!

No, Im not getting any compensation from Musikraft. I just think that they're that good. But remember - Dont buy from them thinking that because I raved about them that they are a "Magic Bullet" - you still got to move your fingers to play the thing! Like strat78 says "Its got wires that vibrate!"

Soundclips to follow soon. Im too lazy right now.

Pauly

So, for

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Musikraft on eBay

Oh, and BTW, they sell on ebay as "Jamerson Guitars".

Basically Jamerson Guitars is the sister company of musikraft that specializes in non-Fender type stuff.

Most of their parts on eBay (when they being sold on their) have a black background in their picture(s) so you can sometimes use that as a way to screen through the gallery pics on eBay.

Try an eBay search like "strat nitro". I dont think they have anything up there right now though.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
A short soundbyte of the GEE-tar!

Here is a mediocre version of "You Really Got Me" that I did last night before bed b/c I knew that I wasnt gonna get to play today.

Signal path is:

Guitar-Custom Phaser (Phase90 Replica w/ Dry/Wet Mix Control) -Guitarport-Computer.

A little plate reverb was added in the mix on the right channel, but other than that NO EQ'ing whatsoever besides the "amp Knobs" on G-port.

And yes, the song is a W-in-P....Im still working on it. And I would wholeheartedly endorse this song as study point for VH guitar fans....there are a myriad of little nuances in this song that really show off Ed's knack for Great playing AND Great tone. My favorite part about Ed is his tone, timing and nuances.

Pauly

Attachments

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
LypsLynch55 said:
Thanks.

My only real "problem" with it is that the neck pocket isnt deep enough to have the neck sit low enough to have the bridge actually touch the body, which I hear considerably improves the tone and sustain.

So, if anyone has any ideas how to be able to screw the Floyd posts in further AND not have the action bottom out on the frets/neck, let me know. I mean, obviously, I could route the neck pocket a little deeper, but Im not skilled enough to do that.

Any advice?
Looks cool and sounds great!. :thumb:

If you don't want to re-route the cavity or shave off part of the neck.....your only option to get the FRO against the body is to make a wooden shim to put under the neck. It would be a very thin piece of wood that is in the shape of the neck cavity, but is slightly thicker on the end closest to the headstock. This will change the neck angle enough to allow the FRO to bottom out against the body like the old EBMM's...and keep your same action.

The good thing about trying this is you can't screw up the neck or body and it does not really require any tools....just a thin piece of wood veneer at Home depot and some sandpaper.

Good Luck!:thumb:

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Neck Shim

Ok, Im still a novice at this so -
How would you shim the neck, i.e. which side of the neck would the shim go - Closer to the headstock side or the body side ?

I would think that it would be a shim near the neck screws closer to the headstock, so that the angle of the neck is say 175 Degrees vs. 180.

If you want, PM me or if you have some pics of this process or a useful tool, I would be obliged. I have googled this but haven come up with any real useful links for flush-mounting a Floyd. I PM'ed Jalapeno, but he has been MIA for awhile.

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
LypsLynch55 said:
Ok, Im still a novice at this so -
How would you shim the neck, i.e. which side of the neck would the shim go - Closer to the headstock side or the body side ?

I would think that it would be a shim near the neck screws closer to the headstock, so that the angle of the neck is say 175 Degrees vs. 180.
You are correct with the placement...when I shim a neck I make the shim the size of the neck cavity and shape from there....it gives really solid contact between the neck and body.

You can shim a neck simply using a guitar pick and shoving it between the neck and body...but the big wooden one is better.

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
There is much to be said for ash guitars. That solo tone is very musical and resonant. WOW! I also love the muted chord tone. Those SD EVH pups are pretty amazing, I still have one but I'm saving it for my mango guitar. I love the look of Musikraft parts but now we can all rest assured that they sound amazing too! :woot2: Talk to you soon Pauley!

·
Registered
410 Posts
Nice job! :rock:

Musikraft does make some nice stuff.
I've bought several necks from them and can vouch for their quality.

As for your issues with the "neck pocket" ... sounds like VHF's got you on the right track. :icon_thum

My only advice would be to adjust your trem so that it sits flush on the body first.
Then make all other adjustments from there.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Dino!

Dino -
Wow, anything positive coming from someone as skilled as you is quite the honor! Ive been drooling over some of the stuff you've posted over at evh.com......

Great stuff, man you are a plethora of knowledge.

You should be inducted into the RnR HOF just for the "Star Guitar" Thread alone. That was just great, great stuff....when I think of how-tos, step-by-step, attention to detail, that thread is it.

SO, FROM THE BOTTOM OF MY VH-OBSESSED HEART, THANK YOU!

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
slugworth said:
Nice Ax...

What did the neck cost?

:biggthump
The neck cost $390. Its the upcharge for the Birdseye that got me.

THanks for the compliment INK, Slug.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts