Guitars101 - Guitar Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my other guitarist bought a old ESP King V body, mahogony, bolt on neck... he had a neck made by ed roman... i'm putting this guitar together for him..... first thing i noticed on this neck that was sub par, was the inlays... they are all different shapes, none symetrical... i thought that was kind of shady, but didn't think a lot of it... next thing i found was the tuner holes.... they weren't drilled straight, nor were the holes big enough to fit any standard sized tuners... i had to redrill them to fit the tuners we got(schaller's)...they don't line up with my straight edge, so i have them in there so they appear straight, but if u look at the back u can see they weren't drilled straight... 2nd off, they are all too close together... the tab that the screw goes thru in the back is touching on all of them... 2 of them i had to sand down part of that tab to get them to go in straight... so i got the tuners in finally... bolt the neck to the body proceed to set it up... the locking nut was not shimmed AT ALL! the strings were resting on the 1st fret. i shimmed it with paper, later i will replace it with a brass shim probably... so now i got the strings on properly, they don't buzz off the first fret, another thing now that is making me pretty angry... the truss rod was set as loose as possible... so i have to tighten it up a ton... the fret dressing also sucks, it catches my fingers... my other guitarist asked them for a neck profile similar to USA Jackson's.... what he got was far from... it feels like a 100 dollar indonesian BC Rich neck... the frets also have some knicks in them, probly due to improper handling. and with all the work i've done, i still cannot get the action as low as my japanese Rhoads V or my other guitarists USA Jackson King V KV1... its absurd. i don't know how much my guitarist paid for this neck, but i think he got completely ripped off. ed roman officially sucks.

another thing thats bothering me... the neck is a 3 piece neck, i can feel the gap between the 3 pieces of wood used to make the neck... the finish work sucks. this neck is a pile of crap.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i was hoping i wouldn't have anything bad to say about his shop when i started putting together this guitar for my other guitarist.... but its pretty bad... and i'm pretty peeved.... heres a pic of the guitar

edit:
ericgtr said:
Off to the Guitar Rack :)
ahh sorry looked thru the list, musta missed that one;)

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i got ahold of ed roman about the neck, the main issue being the profile, because its very badly done... the profile was actually thicker than my strat neck... but the custom shop guy said we could send it back and he'd reshape the neck, and it wouldn't cost anything other than shipping to them, and he'd pay for shipping back, and turnaround would be 1 week...

hopefully they will make it right...

·
Registered
754 Posts
I think he will make it right.I've met ed several times an bought many things at there vegas location and have been very happy with the price and quality of what I've purchased. let us know what happens.

·
Banned
7,011 Posts
I have made a couple of purchases there and overall he seemed OK to deal with. He was a dick when I was looking for a neck with star inlays, but I think that he was just having his time of the month... :dunno:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts