Guitars101 - Guitar Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Jeff McDonald
3,793 Posts
SDJ218 said:
"Raised On Radio" made me absolutely cringe. During this period, they canned Ross Valory and Steve Smith, and whipped out the flourescent sports jackets and really bad perms.
Yeah, and I think this was the period where Randy Jackson (the judge from American Idol) played bass for them. I have a couple of Journey DVDs and he is on a couple of the live videos from this time period. He looks hilarious. My girlfriend and I watch that DVD quite frequently when guests come over.

I can understand why people may not like later Journey, especially the way that Steve Perry just kinda decided he was gonna take over the direction of the band, and basically up and fired some of the long-timers. But I truthfully like all Journey music.

Very strange that this song popped up, as I spent a good part of this past Saturday trying to learn, practice and record the solo for this song. I've got it down pretty good now, however your tone in this recording sounds very good compared to what I had going. I'd be very curious to hear you finish recording the end of this song. This is one of my favorite Journey songs and Neal Schon guitar solos. It is very simple but effective and emotionally powerful.

· Jeff McDonald
3,793 Posts
SDJ218 said:

Jackson and Dunbar are no slouches at their instruments by any means, but I don't see what they contributed that Steve Smith and Ross Valory were incapable of.
Well, the way they made it seem in their VH-1 Behind the Music episode (and we all know that Behind the Music is like the Bible of Rock History! :icon_roll ), it seemed to be less about their abilities and mostly about Steve Perry believing that he and Jonathan Cain were the sappy ballad-writing machine that was gonna take them to the top, and him wanting to take the band in the direction that HE thought was best and the other guys had to go in order for that to happen. Kinda made me lose a little bit of respect for Steve Perry, but he is still an amazing vocalist, although, I got the Live DVD from 2000 (or 2001?) for my girlfriend for Christmas and the new guy, Steve Augeri is quite a fantastic vocalist as well.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.