Guitars101 - Guitar Forums banner
21 - 25 of 25 Posts

· Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·

Thanks, everyone.

And KC, that is one badass avatar......hahaha. Very cool.

Yes, it was Randy Jackson from "American Idol" who played bass for Journey as Valory's replacement.

To this day, I still question what Steve's reasoning was for it. (along with Ansley Dunbar replacing Steve Smith.) Steve is an incredible drummer. I've seen a clip of him and bassist Victor Wooten playing together that would simply make your jaw drop to the floor.

Jackson and Dunbar are no slouches at their instruments by any means, but I don't see what they contributed that Steve Smith and Ross Valory were incapable of.

· Jeff McDonald
3,793 Posts
SDJ218 said:

Jackson and Dunbar are no slouches at their instruments by any means, but I don't see what they contributed that Steve Smith and Ross Valory were incapable of.
Well, the way they made it seem in their VH-1 Behind the Music episode (and we all know that Behind the Music is like the Bible of Rock History! :icon_roll ), it seemed to be less about their abilities and mostly about Steve Perry believing that he and Jonathan Cain were the sappy ballad-writing machine that was gonna take them to the top, and him wanting to take the band in the direction that HE thought was best and the other guys had to go in order for that to happen. Kinda made me lose a little bit of respect for Steve Perry, but he is still an amazing vocalist, although, I got the Live DVD from 2000 (or 2001?) for my girlfriend for Christmas and the new guy, Steve Augeri is quite a fantastic vocalist as well.

· Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·

Thanks, fliyngv....I appreciate it.

KC-do any of the Journey DVD's you have show Neal Schon doing the "Star Spangled Banner" live in concert?

I have a video clip of it on my computer from their DirectTv concert they did back in 2000, but I was hoping it was available on DVD somewhere, so I could have a better quality version of it.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.