Guitars101 - Guitar Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, i am 16 years old and have been playing for 4 years. On my 13th birthday I got an Essex begginers pack with a 10W amp and a cheapo SX guitar for about $250AU. Now I have a question, would this gear be limiting my playing? I can bust out some great stuff but it doesnt sound very good. I havent really had the chance to play with anything else that is better so I dont know what other guitars and amps feel like when im playing them. However I have about $1000AU to spend on a new guitar, no amp is necessary at the moment. Can anyone recommend me a good guitar if this one is really limiting my playing ( around $1000AU). I want to have a jam and play in some of the battles but this guitar wont make a sound to get there.... so would a new guitar really bring out the colour in my playing?

thanks limnuy
 

·
Captain DB... Savvy ?
Joined
·
3,523 Posts
first of all bvro . a new axe and amp would definitely make you sound better . and would help you improve quicker because it would feel easier on the fingers .

for $1000 your options are pretty big . but first and foremost find a good amp . 50 Watt should give you good tone . as for a guitar ... i really don't know . but with a budget like that you should be able to get a good deal .

i think you could probably get the exact gear i use with that amount of cash to spend . if you want i can list it all and tell you my exact settings and you should be set haha . either way im sure plenty dudes here will give advice for you to take into account .
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,383 Posts
Me personally, i'd upgrade the amp first, then the guitar. If you play an awesome guitar through a practise amp, it's probably gonna sound the same as your essex guitar.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,383 Posts
dannyboy said:
first of all bvro . a new axe and amp would definitely make you sound better . and would help you improve quicker because it would feel easier on the fingers .

for $1000 your options are pretty big . but first and foremost find a good amp . 50 Watt should give you good tone . as for a guitar ... i really don't know . but with a budget like that you should be able to get a good deal .

i think you could probably get the exact gear i use with that amount of cash to spend . if you want i can list it all and tell you my exact settings and you should be set haha . either way im sure plenty dudes here will give advice for you to take into account .
you beat me to it haha.

Remember that 1000 aussie in terms of guitar equipment is the equivalent to possibly 500 american (not the exchange rate, but the way it works for musical gear).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Alrright then

Alrighty guys, this is probably going to be the place I will buy my gear... online and easy... First of all I dont have a clue on whats good and whats not. Im not going into a musical shop because I know all they want to do is sell me something, they dont really care about whether it is what im after or not.

Check the site
http://www.musicianswarehouse.com.au/

Hit me up on anything good you guys see, I dont want to go into the shop and sample every guitar and amp. For the guitar, i was concidering an epiphone black beauty, but then after some thought i decided they were too heavy and not for my style. I like jamming with rock music, and a little bit blues etc.( but what would I know, thats why im posting here)

So I was looking at http://www.musicianswarehouse.com.au/default.aspx?Pg=21&ProductCode=RG320FMAM which is the ibanez RG320FM.
As for an amp I wouldnt know what to get any suggestions?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
103 Posts
For $500.00 US ( I think that's what you said the equiv was, right?) I would get a Behringer V-Ampire combo ( I have one, and it's great for practice and recording...really has a good tone for what it is, I'm sure you can't beat this thing for the price), and look at an Ibanez, maybe a used Schecter, or even a used newer Epiphone. Schecter has an axe called the Omen 6 which is $299.00 brand new, and it's really a great feeling guitar, especially when you consider the price! I also would suggest looking at ESP's ltd stuff, even the EC-50 is not a bad guitar and it's $199.00 brand new. Keep in mind tho, that the most noticable sacrifice on the lower price/end guitars is going to be the electronics, but they are easily changed.

The V-ampire, btw, is $249.00 new, 100 watts. I've been playing for about 15-16 years, and I have a slew of stuff, A dual recto, a decent rack, etc, but I LOVE my V-ampire for practice and recording, it even gets decently loud (and will push a 4x12 well enough!).


EDIT: http://www.musicianswarehouse.com.au/default.aspx?Pg=21&ProductCode=VAMPIRE112

That's the amp, And while I prefer the black beauty you mentioned, that Ibanez should work out just fine. Check out this Ibanez too:
http://www.musicianswarehouse.com.au/default.aspx?Pg=21&ProductCode=SA60BK
Well, that's my advice for $500.00, and I know many will disagree with me, but anyway, good luck! :icon_thum
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,048 Posts
limnuy said:
Hello all, i am 16 years old and have been playing for 4 years. On my 13th birthday I got an Essex begginers pack with a 10W amp and a cheapo SX guitar for about $250AU. Now I have a question, would this gear be limiting my playing? I can bust out some great stuff but it doesnt sound very good. I havent really had the chance to play with anything else that is better so I dont know what other guitars and amps feel like when im playing them. However I have about $1000AU to spend on a new guitar, no amp is necessary at the moment. Can anyone recommend me a good guitar if this one is really limiting my playing ( around $1000AU). I want to have a jam and play in some of the battles but this guitar wont make a sound to get there.... so would a new guitar really bring out the colour in my playing?

thanks limnuy
Seems you got GAS or Gear Aquisition Syndrom, a common ailment among musicians. This comes from thinking that another piece of equipment or book or exercize tool or whatever is going to make you better. The problem is that this is just never true. For the first bit it is exciting to have new gear and it does make you practice more, but the novelty wears off and you are back were you started...thinking your sound just isn't quite right and is fucking you up or you need a few more books to practice from.

Sometimes GAS is good, if you acknowledge that this is what is happening and keep yourself from going out of control. It really rapidly adds up though so watch out.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
665 Posts
nroberts said:
Seems you got GAS or Gear Aquisition Syndrom, a common ailment among musicians. This comes from thinking that another piece of equipment or book or exercize tool or whatever is going to make you better. The problem is that this is just never true. For the first bit it is exciting to have new gear and it does make you practice more, but the novelty wears off and you are back were you started...thinking your sound just isn't quite right and is fucking you up or you need a few more books to practice from.

Sometimes GAS is good, if you acknowledge that this is what is happening and keep yourself from going out of control. It really rapidly adds up though so watch out.

He was asking for advice on what to buy
not to be berated.....
better guitars help people hear their real sound better
he has a beginers guitar and he wants to upgrade to a better guitar because he wants to get more serious
thats a good thing
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,212 Posts
I have a LTD Viper 200 FM with EMG HZ's and it's a metal machine with a high gain amp! I also have a "newer" Kramer Baretta and I love that thing! It's a neck through with an alder body. coil tapping and a floyd rose. Both of those are right in the 300 dollar range. Check out the modeling amps. There's plenty of websites out there that have audio samples of amps and such. There's Line 6, Behringer, and as Jimi pointed out, Digitech. There's so much stuff out there you could make a huge leap in the gear dept for not a lot of money. Have fun and good luck!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
nroberts said:
Seems you got GAS or Gear Aquisition Syndrom, a common ailment among musicians. This comes from thinking that another piece of equipment or book or exercize tool or whatever is going to make you better. The problem is that this is just never true. For the first bit it is exciting to have new gear and it does make you practice more, but the novelty wears off and you are back were you started...thinking your sound just isn't quite right and is fucking you up or you need a few more books to practice from.

Sometimes GAS is good, if you acknowledge that this is what is happening and keep yourself from going out of control. It really rapidly adds up though so watch out.
Sorry dude if you think like that, I just asked for some advise on new gear. I didnt ask if it will make me play a joe satriani song with my guitar behind my head. All i wanted to know were some tips about the feel of upgrading from a cheap kit ($100US) to something decent, and some suggestions of gear.

Cheers Limnuy
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
270 Posts
Also, I have had EXTREMELY good luck with Dean guitars. They even suckered me in with their EVO XM for $95 US and I was pretty happy with that! With a $95 guitar and some changes to decent pickups and tuners, you could have a really decent guitar for around $200 US (and an education on how to mod a guitar!! haha) I have two Dean guitars now and I am very happy with both of them.

I think a probably the best step you could take right now is going to a pawn shop or a used guitar store. Not to degrade you as a player or anything, but it sounds like you may not have enough experience to know exactly what you want as far as sound and feel and all that goes, so a good used guitar is perfect for you! At this point, don't bother buying something new unless you can find a great deal somewhere. Also, I have large issues against not being able to play a guitar before you buy it. Every guitar is different. One Fender Strat will not sound or play exactly the same as another identical Fender Strat or a pair of Gibsons or pair of PRS's or any guitar for that matter. It sounds like you are serious enough about guitar that the look of the guitar is taking a backseat to sound (which is good) so try EVERYTHING you can get your hands on! Try out dozens of guitars before you seriously consider buying anything. Thats my two cents...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
270 Posts
Thats a very good amp if you like the Marshall sound!

They are called half stacks because a full stack is usually two cabinets (usually 4x10 or 4x12) are stacked on top of one another. One is usually a flat cabinet, the other is usually a slanted cabinet. There is two reasons for this...1 When you place your amp head on top of the slanted cabinet it places it closer to the middle of the cabinet so it is balanced. 2 Some slanted cabinet are designed with the top two speakers slightly at angles to they project differently than flat cabinet. Nowadays, most production cabinets are built about the same and it's simply a matter or preference in looks. I don't know of any place that even charges any different for slanted or flat...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
DJ Snoo said:
Thats a very good amp if you like the Marshall sound!
I just done a search on the MG100HDFX and it seems people reckon they are shit. I guess ill just wait until people post more thoughts in here.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
270 Posts
I guess I should have told you this before hand....I like a lot of things that most people don't haha. I like the challenge of making things cool out of things that others despise. Maybe thats my personal thing, but i've always like doing it. Thats why I play through keyboard amps and bass amps and play with very thick strings and play with really wierd effects and all that. I don't have a lot of experience with that particular model of Marshall AMP, but the reviews on Harmony Central are mediocre to good. But also keep in mind, this is only the head, the cab and speaker choice make a big difference in your sound as well.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,048 Posts
limnuy said:
Sorry dude if you think like that, I just asked for some advise on new gear. I didnt ask if it will make me play a joe satriani song with my guitar behind my head. All i wanted to know were some tips about the feel of upgrading from a cheap kit ($100US) to something decent, and some suggestions of gear.

Cheers Limnuy
Shit, sorry I tried to help if its going to cause so much offense. I would say that G&L makes pretty good guitars but I wouldn't want to get someone's panties in a wad.

You know, a lot of really good guitarists have crap gear.

So I'll just STFU now and remember the thanks I got this time next time.

cya.
 

·
Crazy Admin
Joined
·
4,016 Posts
nroberts said:
Shit, sorry I tried to help if its going to cause so much offense. I would say that G&L makes pretty good guitars but I wouldn't want to get someone's panties in a wad.

You know, a lot of really good guitarists have crap gear.

So I'll just STFU now and remember the thanks I got this time next time.

cya.
Theres a fine line between giving advice and being offensive . yes some people go out of control with getting new gear but do you really think a decent guitar and amp is unneccisary equipment ?

My advice is prolly a bit different to people have given already , use the grand to get a goodish guitar .. an epiphone les paul or something second hand that's a good brand .. sound is one thing .. but the feel of the guitar i think will be alot nicer than what you have now .and for me is really important. getting an epiphone you may even have enough left over to be within reaching distance of a decent amp too with a bit of saving . .. however just my advice hehe
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
665 Posts
I agree about getting a guitar first...
for another reason though... aside from giving more confidence and all of that good crap, allowing better playing etc

when you start going to open mic nights......they have amps there for you to use :icon_peac
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,048 Posts
Stiglar said:
Theres a fine line between giving advice and being offensive . yes some people go out of control with getting new gear but do you really think a decent guitar and amp is unneccisary equipment ?
I think it is pretty rare, though admittedly possible, for any setup to be 'limiting' to a player. I think that in most cases the problem is elsewhere. When I first started I had GAS really bad....I still get it from time to time, it isn't anything to be ashamed of. I couldn't stand my first guitar, it was a total POS by any standard. But it did hold a tune and I played the shit out of it. I also thought it was limiting me, but I was wrong. Looking at it honestly if any part of the picture was limiting it was myself. The OP was complaining that his gear might be limiting him and thinks maybe new gear will make things better...this is the dictionary definition of GAS is it not?

My advice is prolly a bit different to people have given already , use the grand to get a goodish guitar .. an epiphone les paul or something second hand that's a good brand .. sound is one thing .. but the feel of the guitar i think will be alot nicer than what you have now .and for me is really important. getting an epiphone you may even have enough left over to be within reaching distance of a decent amp too with a bit of saving . .. however just my advice hehe
I would also be inclined to buy the guitar first. *If* the gear is at fault it is most definately the guitar. You simply don't need an amp to practice but a guitar that doesn't hold tune is necissary. But eventually the sound of the amp will start to bother you and it will feel 'limiting' and you will need to upgrade. Then again something won't be right and you'll need another new guitar or amp...it is a never ending cycle that everyone who has played for long can empathise with. New gear is fun and it is nice to have nice stuff...BUT - it will probably not solve the problem.

So I don't know where I crossed this line. But whatever, this is too much like homework for me...and not the kind I enjoy. If someone wants to be offended I can't stop them. :wutblau:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
nroberts said:
Shit, sorry I tried to help if its going to cause so much offense. I would say that G&L makes pretty good guitars but I wouldn't want to get someone's panties in a wad.

You know, a lot of really good guitarists have crap gear.

So I'll just STFU now and remember the thanks I got this time next time.

cya.
LoL man, your cool. I can see where you were coming from i was just sticking a peice of bait out there. But so far all of this advice is great, thanks guys keep it coming.

I presume every guitarist will have their own sound they like, so when you say crap gear it is only your opinion. I just picked this MG100HDFX ( didnt purchase it ) because I liked the look of it, and the sounds of the 70 - 80's that zakk wylde used to produce all came from marshall stacks. <~~ Correct me if im wrong.

I wish I had time to test every guitar and every amp in the biggest music shop in the world, but unfortunatly I do not. If I decide to get a guitar first, I will be needing some advice and help.

I like Ibanez guitars, i dont know why they just appeal to me. LOL :|
But for my budget I dont know what to buy. Screw the amp thing for a bit... ill start on the guitar
 
1 - 20 of 47 Posts
Top