Votes: 10 71.4%
  • keihan

Votes: 4 28.6%
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
What ya Lookin Fer?
1,568 Posts
Wow , man That rocks Naif!

I was thinking about doing the more rockin' Zelda2 Temple scene but opted for the main Zelda theme we are all familiar with. This entire theme was screwy since it shifts from major to minor throughout and much of it is mixolydian which I'm not all too familiar with so I played it out.

Here goes ;) Gonna need a lot of luck after listening to yours, Naif :)

·
Jeff McDonald
3,684 Posts
Naifuzan said:
So. This is the ultimate video game challenge!
I'm going up against keihan with a piece from castlevania 1 from NES.
I hope you can dig it.
Hey that was great Naifuzan. I did dig it. That soudned like a lot of work to figure out the differnt parts and to get them all recorded. This was really fun stuff! :thumbup:

·
Jeff McDonald
3,684 Posts
keihan said:
Wow , man That rocks Naif!

I was thinking about doing the more rockin' Zelda2 Temple scene but opted for the main Zelda theme we are all familiar with. This entire theme was screwy since it shifts from major to minor throughout and much of it is mixolydian which I'm not all too familiar with so I played it out.

Here goes ;) Gonna need a lot of luck after listening to yours, Naif :)
I like this one as well. I am not familiar with either of these tunes, as I am video game illiterate, but this is great stuff. I really love the Irish/gallantry vibe. Your tone is perfect for getting that feel. Not sure yet who gets my vote as I liked qualities of both. :dunno:

·
What ya Lookin Fer?
1,568 Posts
Thanks everyone for listening ;)

...and special thanks to Naif for setting up this challenge, it was fun and inspiring and I got a chance to take on something a little different for me.

All things considered, after hammering out this tune in just a couple days, I found that I really like it quite a lot. A friend of mine whom is a classical/jazz pianist heard it and said, if I considered working out a more professional score of it, he would do a professional backing track on his synthesizer and add more professional sounding instruments using Band in a Box and Cubase. I think I will take him up on that offer :D.

Thanks again everyone :)

·
What ya Lookin Fer?
1,568 Posts
Rythameen said:
Way too much time on your hands, the both of you. Seriously, a lot of work from each, after repeated listenings............I went with Naif.
LOL! Thanks Ryth.

I can't speak for Naif, but I didn't spend a whole lot of time on this. :( I wish I would have had some more time, but it was kind of a record for me to hammer it out in such a short period hehe :bannana_g

I spent last Friday and Saturday just kinda listening to the midi of the tune over and over (whenever I had a chance) just so that I could get a bit of a feel for it. It is an odd little score. It changes, mid-section in many places, from major to minor and then back again... during one such change is where I used the harmonic trem dives and swells to embellish on the eerie minor key change.

Anyhow, I recorded it in sections over the course of yesterday (on my breaks). I would hammer out a few measures, record it and then come back later and hammer out a few more til it was finished.

Near the end I threw in a little tapping (Vito Bratta style). I had a nice tapping piece that I wrote, utilizing the main melody line, but since this was such a short piece, I opted to leave it out so as not to hog it up with too much tapping (becomes tasteless after awhile like long shredding leads).

Anyhow, I hope to work on this one a little more with a new backing track. I also have another one in mind which I wish to work over soon, but I'll leave that for a later surprise :)

·
Registered
2,669 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I didnt spend that much time on mine either. At least not as much as I should to smoothen out some stuff and maybe come up with a better arrangement.
But I love doing these video game covers. I think its great practice in arranging, mixing and producing songs.

·
What ya Lookin Fer?
1,568 Posts
Naifuzan said:
....I love doing these video game covers. I think its great practice in arranging, mixing and producing songs.
I agree totally. Doing this tune got me a little more familiar with the Mixolydian mode as well ;)

·
Registered
356 Posts
Man this is cool battle. I noticed that in some parts in both of your songs you had a very lil timing slip up but hard to notice. I really liked both and loved the tone of the zelda theme but I am going to go with Naif.

·
What ya Lookin Fer?
1,568 Posts
Thanks Guitar kid. Yeh, I had a bit of a timing slip here and there actually, but only one was more noticeable than the other.

The tone was simple really, I just used my wah full on and then used the EQ in cool edit. However, I'm not real satisfied with the EQ... I didn't really play around with it too much, I simply took some of the mid range down, but it didn't come out as sharp as I would have liked. :(

·
Registered
299 Posts
hey guys , i only know one game and thats counterstrike , not that much of a gamer but the music you put here was nice , i like the answer question things in naifs take he can get himself to play anything he wants ,,,,,and , man there's some spirit in the take keihan did , its like you gonna die or something .the whammy....something i dont usually compliment was so soulful.... goodjob..naif had a better recording tone i think .. both were really good...

·
Registered
410 Posts
I enjoyed listening to both versions. Although I am not familiar with these game tunes, IMO they sounded great. I just wish I have the same talent and motivation like both of you guys to produce these kind of stuff. Good luck to both of you!

·
What ya Lookin Fer?
1,568 Posts
rezamozaffarinia said:
hey guys , i only know one game and thats counterstrike , not that much of a gamer but the music you put here was nice , i like the answer question things in naifs take he can get himself to play anything he wants ,,,,,and , man there's some spirit in the take keihan did , its like you gonna die or something .the whammy....something i dont usually compliment was so soulful.... goodjob..naif had a better recording tone i think .. both were really good...
Much thanks! I always try to think out a plan of action when composing over certain chord progressions. I am a self taught guitarist and I am very weak in music theory, so I have been taking classes in that area. However, I didn't apply much of that to this score. I simply went with feel, but preplanned how I was going to tackle it, by simply working out the main melody and then playing with it. The chord progressions were very awkard. The chords at intro are C, BbS2, A# and G... for the life of me...it took forever to find that A# heheh.

I used the trem dives and swells over those few measures because it added to the eeriness of the change from major to minor... it brings out a lot of depth. I had a lot of fun with this piece and hope to redo it with a better (and longer) backing track and a more professional mix.

You are right about Naif's recording being better though. I definately need a POD :( I simply went from from Stereo headphone out on my Digitech RP200a and into the Mic input on my PC. Kinda unorthodox but it works hehe.

Thanks again Rez!

·
What ya Lookin Fer?
1,568 Posts
gtarxtrm said:
I enjoyed listening to both versions. Although I am not familiar with these game tunes, IMO they sounded great. I just wish I have the same talent and motivation like both of you guys to produce these kind of stuff. Good luck to both of you!
Wow...thanks gtar! :scif890:

Same talent? Dude, I have heard some of your playing... you definately have talent :D I heard your take on "FTLOG" by Vai... damn good work! I haven't even had the balls to attempt tackling it hehehe.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts