Guitars101 - Guitar Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I want to buy a neck pickup for my ibanez guitar, I have Three options but I am not sure about which one to choose, I have a DP159 bridge pickup and I wonder what would be a good combination, I know the evo neck is supposed to be compatible with this one but I have heard good things about the breed one and also about the humbucker from hell( people say it sounds close to a single coil), what would you suggest? I also want to get the single coil in the middle but I am not sure about which one to get people has suggeste dimarzio HS -2 but I want to know your opinion, Thanks in advance and Keep on rocking

·
Registered
11 Posts
I don't know if this will help or not...

I don't know anything about the HFH pickup. However, I am looking to outfit a guitar with one of these pickups as well. I only played in the bridge position, so take my opinions for what it's worth. I think in the guitar that I will be putting DiMarzios in I'll be using something like a PAF Pro in the neck.

In the bridge position, here is what *I* heard as far as the tones go...

I was looking for a Vai-like sound, but not necessarily totally like Vai. I like his warmer Blood & Tears sound. For that he used POGO and his Breed pickups. I really liked the sound of those. Vai called them "like an Evo, but with a warmer PAF quality" or something like that. I don't know if I would og that far, but I really liked the Breed. I tried the Evo, and it just had this real nasally quality in some of the midrange that kinda turned me off. I've basically narrowed down my choice for the bridge to a Breed and an Evo2. The best way to describe the Evo 2 is take away the nasally quality of the Evo, and then warm up the pickup slightly - kinda halfway between the Evo and the Breed.

Now, for my normal playing I would pick the Breed, but this particular guitar I want a little more Vai-like tone out of it so I am going to probably get an Evo2 for the bridge.

I like the Breed in the neck (well, I've only really heard it in the bridge, but I can imagine), but I also really like the PAF Pro sound in the neck. Think Satriani's neck pickup tone on the "Red" album. Again the point here for me is to have a guitar with a slightly different sound than what I would normally go for. I definitely like a warmer pickup in the neck, so I think that, coupled with the nasally thing, I would not choose the Evo for the neck. So, Evo2, or Breed? Well since I like a warmer sound in the neck I would go for the Breed. At least out of the 2. I would compare the Breed neck with maybe one of the PAF neck pickups and see what you think. You can also read the reviews on harmony central as well. Make sure that the review your are reading discusses the pickup in the neck position as good things in the bridge are not always good things in the neck, and bridge pups are generally wound hotter than necks, so they will sound different.

Again, I don't know anything about the HFH. Sounds to me like it's a better bridge pickup, but what do I know? :) Look into the Breed, possibly a PAF, and try the HFH and see which you like better.

Now what you need to do is figure out which guitars come with these as stock so you can go to a store and try them out. When you do so, keep in mind the wood type as well. If one is an ash body with a breed and another is mahogany with a PAF, well the PAF is going to sound disproportionately warmer because of the combination of pickup warmth and body wood.

Also, if you can at least narrow it down to 2, and don't mind ripping out and installing pickups, apparently DiMarzio has an awesome return policy. Get the Breed, install it, and check it out. Return it for a different pup and try that one. If you like it better, keep it, if not return it for another breed. Not the optimal thing to do, but sometimes that's the only way. DiMarzio also has bass, mid, treble ratings of their pickups online and has sample recordings of most of their pickups online as well.

-b5

1 - 3 of 3 Posts