Guitars101 - Guitar Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This thing corrupted my operating system and crashed my computer. Also corrupted all my songs. Long story short I need to replace it. Was looking at the Lexicon Omega. Is this good? Would prefer a firewire. I have heard these things pull too much power through the USB and causes black outs and lock ups. My range is $300-$400.

I currently have a Berhinger mixer 1204 and use Cool Edit Pro 2.0. So I need something to go between my mixer and the PC. I use a laptop too to record drums so that’s why I just don’t go for an internal card. Oh yeah I use Windows XP

Any ideas or suggestions? Thanks in advance

·
Registered
6 Posts
I like my Mobile Pre a lot. Never had any problems but I don't use XP. I have heard the tascam usb interfaces are pretty nice and you can use them to control your DAW software. I haven't tried one though. As for firewire, I have a MOTU 828 which is very good. Try to find one used or on eBay. Also, if you haven't already, it is a good ideas to partition off part of your hard drive just for recording purposes. You never want to be writting to the same area as your system files when doing something as drive intensive as recording music. I highly recommend a 10,000 rpm external drive as your budget allows. I wouldn't give up on the Mobile Pre quite yet as I am sure your problems are more software/OS related and not hardware. Good Luck.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
macg4guy said:
I like my Mobile Pre a lot. Never had any problems but I don't use XP. I have heard the tascam usb interfaces are pretty nice and you can use them to control your DAW software. I haven't tried one though. As for firewire, I have a MOTU 828 which is very good. Try to find one used or on eBay. Also, if you haven't already, it is a good ideas to partition off part of your hard drive just for recording purposes. You never want to be writting to the same area as your system files when doing something as drive intensive as recording music. I highly recommend a 10,000 rpm external drive as your budget allows. I wouldn't give up on the Mobile Pre quite yet as I am sure your problems are more software/OS related and not hardware. Good Luck.
I will do some reasearch on the MOTU 828, thanks. When I called M-Audio support they mentioned reconfiguring the hard drive just like you mentioned. It doesnt say to do that anywhere so i had no idea. M-Audio has some good product I am just gun shy of them since my operating system still is messed up. You are right though, its OS not being compatable with the drivers. M-Audio doesnt have a "true" driver for Windows XP. My wife uses the PC for work too so we lost all her work. We have a 5 year old laptop I am gonna try to update but I think its probably too old to upgrade. A little frustrated but thanks for the reply!!!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.