Guitars101 - Guitar Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello people.

Well I just started playing a week ago and I am hooked. I picked up a squier start for my first. It came with a sp10 amp. I would like to upgrade but don't know anything about them.

I am mostly into rock but do like metal as well. Since I am still new I really dont want to blow a whole lot for a amp right now. I am hoping to spend no more then $300. I was looking at the Line 6 Spider III 75 or 30. Having done some searches I found some people say they are bad while others like them.

Any opinions as to which amp I should get in a $300 price range, or what to look for in a amp? For the people that don't like that amp, Can you tell me why, or what it is about it you don't like. I like the programming you can do with it.

Thanks a lot, and look forward to talking with you all.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys.

I do not use the amp to play tracks. If I play tracks they are on my stereo or computer.

My friend and I do join up to practice, but I think we both prefer to have are own settings on are own amps.

I do want something that has a headphone jack on it.

I really don't want pedals right now. My amp is crap. It came in a package with the guitar. It is probably worth $30. I would rather get a new one that has a good sound for rock and metal.

I also will look into the roland cube amps if you think they are good
Thanks again guys.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You gave me a lot of choices. I will look into them all. Thank you.

O, one thing I noticed with the line 6 75 is no distortion? I know you can get a distorted sound with the drive, but would that amp be good for pinch harmonics? I hear you need a lot of distortion.

If all the amps you listed will be good for learning rock metal and pinch harmonics, I will try them all out and get whichever I like the best. I did a little search on Vox and it seems a lot of people have problems with the speakers blowing or another part of the amp breaking.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I was thinking about a Line 6 but I found out they are for humbucker pickups. A lot of people say they are not great if you dont have those pickups. I am thinking about a crate or fender amp around $300.

Joe King- The amp you posted looks good but it almost sounds like it would not be good for a distorted metal sound.

I have to keep looking, nothing has really jumped out at me yet. I was hoping a lot of people would have the same opinion, so I would be sure that I wouldnt be waisting my money. One of my problems is I just started playing, so I cant really test out any amps in the store. I would have to have someone else play it for me.

Thanks a lot for all the advice everyone.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.