Guitars101 - Guitar Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have always wanted to buy a Les Paul but could never afford one. Really cannot at this point however I have about $1000-$1500 to put towards one.

Anyway looking at new LP's it seems I can get a Studio for that price and just wondering what people here think about them.

I am also thinking that I could buy a used LP but am wondering what would be the advantage of that. If there are years to stay away from or actually look for that would help as well.

Not that it probably matters but I play classic rock mixed with a little metal and a little blues.

Thanks

·
Banned
7,011 Posts
I have an Epiphone Les Paul Standard Honeyburst. I paid $600 for it several years ago, and it is abso-fucking-lutely one of the BEST guitars I have ever played. Studio is a step down from the tried and true Rock staple of the LP Standard, and I think you would be pissing your money away just to say you have a Gibson Les Paul. That's my 2 cents. No refunds :thumb:

Here is mine. Take a peekers and try to tell me that isn't one fine piece of wood that I am sporting :thumb:

·
I am a meat popsicle
4,743 Posts
Ziggy, if you have that much, your certainly close enough to get an original vintage since you place classic rock.
I would recommend a Maple neck Les Paul (not the fingerboard) from the late 70's. I have a 77 natural finnish one and i have been happy as a clam with it. Most Les Pauls have Mahogany necks as you know...those Maple ones are something special imo. Brighter and more dynamic imo. Best of luck with it. :icon_thum

·
Banned
7,011 Posts
3f has a pretty good point although I don't think you are going to find an actual vintage LP for under $2k unless it's stolen and you're in Louisiana. :D

Check out www.gbase.com Great prices to be had there :thumb:

·
I am a meat popsicle
4,743 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the advice guys.

Unfortunately I kind of need to buy a LP since my dad is giving me about a grand to put to one. He is selling a guitar of his and since it was supposed to be mine when he dies, he wants to give me some of his proceeds to get a LP.

I also would like to get one just for the fact that Randy used to play one and granted I cannot get whatever he played, (hell nobody actually knows if it was a 74 or another year), maybe I can pick up one in Alpine White. However color is secondary, playability and tone is the primary objective.

Since I never played a LP, maybe it won't suit my fingers. Just curious but how different is the neck from lets say a Wolfgang?

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
I say shop around for a second hand one. It'll hold its value alot better. And you'll be able to buy a more premium model than the studio. And second hand guitars seem to have more vibe.

·
Registered
26 Posts
ziggysmalls said:
Thanks for the advice guys.
playability and tone is the primary objective.
Make sure you can play if before you buy it, if you buy online or from ebay chances are you will not be getting a good instrument. Gibson Quality control really sucks bad so PLAY before you buy and you should be fine.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Epiphones Are a Smart Choice

I played my Epiphone Les Paul, after new pickups (seymour duncans, seth lover and a jb), while my buddy played his new Gibson Les Paul. I paid around $800 for mine after replacing the pickups and the pots. He paid $1900 for his. After a twenty minute jam, he took his back to the shop.

I've since bought an Epiphone Elitist Les Paul Standard, and it's the squirrel's nuts!

Remember, whatever you choose, you'll play the guitar, not the headstock.

Chicken House Willie

·
Registered
47 Posts
I also have an Epi. Lespaul and the it's got a great warm tone and that classic rock crunch to it. To me its a very versatile guitar since I play hard/classic rock and metal.But, if I were you I would save up for a little longer and get the Gibson Lespaul Standard 60's neck ($2200) or the LesPaul Classic ($1800)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts