Guitars101 - Guitar Forums banner

NEED HELP selecting a preamp tube

950 views 1 reply 1 participant last post by  beavershit 
#1 ·
I have this 60 watt randall solidstate with a pre-amp tube and its sounds like SHIT. I was gonna sell it but now I think I'll try swapping out the tube. from what I read on the net, its a 12ax7 of some sort. this amp is from 1986, the hair band explosion. randall was leo fender's original amp designer so how bad can it be? I've heard that replacing capacitors and transformers are sometimes the only options to make an amp sound better AFTER replacing the tubes.

what I want to know is: what is the closest match to 1986 hairmetal overdrive combo. I was looking at the reproduction mullard's from groove tubes or "new sensor". new sensor is for HI-FI so its really musical flat response. groovetubes is tryin to recreate that NOS 1960 fender mullard tube. NOS tubes are $100+ so there is obviously a demand for mullards. groovetubes are like $20. new sensor like $25.

#2 ·
sold the randall. I'm buyin a mesa caliber DC-2 with the extra mini cab. one of the best amps I've played with in a while. I can get any clean or dirty sound I wan't. the EQ is powerfull and yet sounds great and doesn't screw up my sound. all I need is a booster pedal like the Fuchs so I can overdrive the input for more gain/overdrive. try one of these out they are amazing!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.