Guitars101 - Guitar Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all. I've got a mexican strat that I essentially want to Van Halen. I'm looking for a pickup that has humbucking power and sound but to keep the neck pickup. I'd want a bit of Jimmy Page sound in it ya know. But I'm done with the strat bridge, I don't like it that much. Too noisy and feedback hum-y. I wouldn't have a problem with getting a new pickguard for a normal humbucker and such.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Eh, I"ve tried the single coil humbuckers, and I just never really took to them. The hot rails were just too much for me, I'm thinkin Warm, Fat, Punchy, with good mid-range. My lead involves a little more mid than high. I'll also admit i'm an aesthetics person, If it doesn't look just right I don't love it. ANd I like the look of an H/H strat. BUt whatever.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have yet to find anyone local who has them, and I'm not dropping $100+ on a pair o pups I may not even like. I've just never liked the single-coil-style humbuckers.

G

·
I have yet to find anyone local who has them, and I'm not dropping $100+ on a pair o pups I may not even like. I've just never liked the single-coil-style humbuckers.
You've only tried hot-rails, though.

Youtube is excellent when you want to find out how a certain pickup sounds, or other instruments.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You know I did not think of that. I guess YouTube still can redeem itself in my eyes. I'll try your lil 59's, but I'm also looking at aftermarket parts, so if you know any good normal humbuckers that'd be super.

G

·
You know I did not think of that. I guess YouTube still can redeem itself in my eyes. I'll try your lil 59's, but I'm also looking at aftermarket parts, so if you know any good normal humbuckers that'd be super.
Oh, anything by Seymour Duncan. I'd rather have them than Dimarzio and Gibson.

http://www.music123.com/Seymour-Dun...ectric-Guitar-Pickup-300010-i1127357.Music123

http://www.music123.com/Seymour-Duncan-SH-5-Duncan-Custom-Guitar-Pickup-300040-i1127374.Music123

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
UPDATE: I recently discovered a British pickup called the IronGear HotSlag that from what I've heard sounds good, if anyone has experience with those your opinion can help. And in my experience Seymour DUncan makes some good pickups, but they're like Gibson now in that they have a reputation/prestige that makes them think they can charge more for their products just because. And I don't like their pricing.

G

·
UPDATE: I recently discovered a British pickup called the IronGear HotSlag that from what I've heard sounds good, if anyone has experience with those your opinion can help. And in my experience Seymour DUncan makes some good pickups, but they're like Gibson now in that they have a reputation/prestige that makes them think they can charge more for their products just because. And I don't like their pricing.
They don't charge like Gibson.:shame:

You're asking for advice, and you're just throwing it all back in my face. Why ask if you're just going to b*tch?

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Cause I like to be the whiny poor man. I'll apologize if that's how it came off. BTW those Lil 59's don't sound bad. Only trouble is that I can't find any in a local store.

G

·
Cause I like to be the whiny poor man. I'll apologize if that's how it came off. BTW those Lil 59's don't sound bad. Only trouble is that I can't find any in a local store.
You can ask them to order them.

I live in the South, and am fairly good buddies with the owner of my local guitar shop. I can mention maybe wanting something, and he gets a few new items in the store.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Try a Seymore Duncan Custom Custom! I replaced a shot stock Dragon pickup out of my PRS with the Custom Custom and it brought new life to the old girl! Theyre "suppose" to be the Duncan answer to Ed's Kramer era pickups, they do have that EVH swagger, and I love it

1 - 14 of 14 Posts