Guitars101 - Guitar Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm setting up a pedalboard and I'm not sure the best way to chain the pedals. My amp has NO effects loop, so everything must run in front of the amp.

Here are the pedals I have (I've included specific brand/model in case it matters).

• Ernie Ball VP Jr volume
  • Planet Waves Tru Strobe tuner
  • TC Electronic TC XII Phaser
  • Tech 21 Boost RVB reverb
  • Seymour Duncan Deja Vu delay
  • TC Electronic Corona chorus
  • Seymour Duncan Lava Box overdrive
  • Boss MT-2 Metal Zone distortion
  • Boss CS-3 Compression Sustainer
  • ISP Decimator G-String noise suppressor

I'm using a 1 Spot for power (may switch to a Voodoo PP2 later on).

Any help is greatly appreciated.

· Registered
10 Posts
OK let's try to make this forum suck a bit less then... :)

General rule for fx box chains is this:

Tuner first so it doesn't get confused by anything else;

Then anything distorsion/overdrive;

EQ's may be put before or after distorsion/overdrive, after is more common;

Noise gates after distorsion/overdrive and before delay/rvb (otherwise it cuts the tail off the reverb);

Then phasers/flangers, delays, reverb usually in that order;

Volume pedal depends on what you want to use it for. If you put it before dist/od you can control the type of distortion you get but doesn't work well as volume control. If you want to use it as a pure volume control, put it at the end of the chain, or anyway after the dist/od section.

Of course, these general rules are a guideline. By all means spend a bit of time experimenting different setups, it pays, if only because you get to know your gear better.

Also, if you have the entire fx chain between guitar and amp, you'll want to use the clean channel on the amp, not the lead/od channel.

· Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OK let's try to make this forum suck a bit less then... :)

<SNIP>
I appreciate the reply, albeit FIVE MONTHS later (forum STILL sucks)...and all the way from Italy too!!

However, since my initial posting I've gone through several different iterations equipment of equipment, including two amps (WITH effects loop) and a shit-ton of pedals and processors.

I picked up three different multi-effects processor units off Craigslist (local classifieds here in the USA) for a while, I realized I wasn't using my pedals at all anymore. I decided I preferred rack gear to the whole individual pedalboard-thing...so I dumped ALL my gear on Fleabay (except for my 2x12 cab) and started over from scratch with a Fractal Axe FX II and a Mesa 50/50 power amp.

Initial set-up on the Fractal MFC foot controller was a pain in the ass, but...no more patch cables, 9v power supplies and velcro!!

Thanks anyway.

· Registered
10 Posts
No sweat, I'm a techie rather than a guitarist, I've answered these questions often enough in real life, it's what I do for a living :) However, I signed up here just a few weeks ago. Had I been around when you made your o.p. I'd most likely have replied in a matter of days rather than months...

By the way, the Mesa 50/50 is an excellent choice for a power amp. Reliable, not too heavy, very affordable, easy to maintain, and sounds great.

· Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah, I'm really happy with my final choices, although I kinda miss my Strymon BlueSky Reverb...that thing was pretty sweet. I just wish I could have afforded gear like this back when I had time and energy enough to be in a band. Now the only audience that gets to hear me play consists of two English Bulldogs and a VERY unenthused house cat.

Glad you came to the forum...it could definitely use more people like you!!

BTW, since you're a tech-guy...can you give me a recommendation on a good interface to transfer the sysex files (patches) from the Axe FX to my PC? My Creative Audigy 2 sound card has a MIDI in-out, but I think it only supports audio recording.

· Registered
10 Posts
I'm afraid I'd have to admit I'm not really current on PC sound cards. I'd expect, if a sound card has a MIDI interface, it would implement the full spec which includes sysex. On the other hand, the Audigy is not a pro card, and I wouldn't put it past Creative to skimp on the specs.
It may be as simple as a driver issue, have you tried to upgrade to the latest version?

Personally, I've never had to deal with this type of problem: almost everyone I know apparently uses Macs for audio. And while I really hate Apple's politics, I must say that they tend to have this sort of stuff nailed pretty well.

· Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Audigy worked like a charm. They even included the adapters (which luckily I saved) to allow the MIDI to plug into the game ports. Used a program called MIDI-OX and it was really simple. Did a bulk dump backup of all the factory Digitech GSP-2101 presets and then uploaded some custom user-created patches. One of the custom patches absolutely NAILS Tom Scholz's sound from the 1976 album!!

Thanks again for your reply.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.