G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok...my current setup for recording with my pc consists of mainly this:

Korg Toneworks AX1500G processor
6-channel 200 Watt PA
SoundBlaster LS soundcard
normal cable (no XLR cable)

i run my guitar through the processor, to the PA, then out of the PA to the line in on the sound card. im not sure how everyone else does it, this is the only way i ever knew to do it.
but i have this irritating noise problem. i normally just eliminate it with noise reduc..but sometimes thats hard. i get hiss from the PA, especially if i turn the effects up on it really high. its a pretty old board though. but could it be the cable i use? i though about getting some noiseless sheilded cable. would that eliminate some of that? i dont have any XLR plugs on the board though or phantom power or that sorta thing...

now my processor....i like it, it sounds good when i run it through an amp and all, but it sounds like crap when i record with it for some reason...that is, mainly when i use the distortion effects on it. the distortion sounds terrible when i record it with the pc. even if i dont run it through the PA and run straight in it still sounds bad to me. maybe i should get a new processor? i tried out a BOSS GT-6 and i liked it. do you think it would sound better for me as far as recording goes?
recommend me some better equipment for my setup...or just teach me how to record... :lol::toothless ive only gotten serious about recording in the recent months..so i honestly dont know much about studio equipment.:\ i would appreciate any opinions and help you guys could give me.
thanks.

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
If you are only trying to record guitar....and you don't have a lot of $$$.....your minimum set-up is a V-amp ($99 new or less on E-bay), your existing sound card, and some recording software (which you can get free).

It's that simple.

·
excess to requirements
7,118 Posts
the korg should be fine going direct into the pc. I know the gt-6 has a line/phones option which is designed for a flat response amp such as a keyboard amp or pa. I don't know if the toneworks has this but have you tried connecting it to the soundcard via the headphone out from the AX1500G? rather than speaker out?

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
Hey pyro. I have the same korg you do. Use the headphone out jack to go line in to the pc. It has a pre-leveled signal that saves you from overdriving the soundcard on your pc. When you use the normal output its balls to the wall preamp at a much higher than line level signal. Heres a sample factory set bank1-2
VGB

·
excess to requirements
7,118 Posts
Bloody hell! I got something right for once :D

·
excess to requirements
7,118 Posts
You are the man VB!!:bowdown: :thumb:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
vintage_brat said:
Hey pyro. I have the same korg you do. Use the headphone out jack to go line in to the pc. It has a pre-leveled signal that saves you from overdriving the soundcard on your pc. When you use the normal output its balls to the wall preamp at a much higher than line level signal. Heres a sample factory set bank1-2
VGB
ok i see now...i never really used that stereo headphone output before. i ran it straight into the pc without the PA and i do notice a big difference. thanks VB. :jam:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts