Guitars101 - Guitar Forums banner
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Great job compiling these. I believe the true mono mixes were used for the In My Lifetime box set, so half of the songs exist with modern mastering. I made my own similar compilation using my mother's record collection, but my Frog King tracks came from her Gold compilation which had a lot of groove wear. This is much cleaner. You could have taken the LP pops out, tho.
Honestly I totally agree with Neil on the spatialization. Mono should not exist. I have two ears, so stereo is the least I will settle for. All old mono recordings should be remixed for stereo and the mono masters destroyed (or sold only to a niche market of people deaf in one ear). I hate hate hate mono.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Thank you for this. It may be heresy among some fans, but for me these recordings were the artistic high mark of his career.
I agree completely. His Uni/MCA period wasn't bad either. His time at Columbia is another matter.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Mono should not exist. I have two ears, so stereo is the least I will settle for. All old mono recordings should be remixed for stereo and the mono masters destroyed (or sold only to a niche market of people deaf in one ear). I hate hate hate mono.
What an absurd statement. You do realize that for many songs only a mono master exists? And, oftentimes the mono 45 will not only have a different mix than the stereo but be a different recording entirely??

Also, if Neil is - as you state - so opposed to mono, then why was the 2011 CD The Bang Years 1966-1968 completely in mono?? Nothing of Neil's get reissued without his full consent.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
152 Posts
Just my two cents. }{eywood has done audio work projects here, so I'm sure that he is much more attuned to the quality of audio than me.

I used to feel the same way about mono. But then I acquired an old mono-specific record player. From the first time I put a mono record on a mono player, the immediacy and punch of the sound was like nothing else. There is just something about old-school mono.

So in a way I can see }{eywood's point, because mono in the digital age, to my ears, is hard to reproduce as well. With that being said, this particular boot gets pretty darn close...

21 - 30 of 30 Posts