Guitars101 - Guitar Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for a practice amp and an acoustic guitar. For the amp: I mainly want to be able to play along with my backing tracks and use headphones. I've tried the vox pathfinder which I really liked, but it doesn't have a cd inpute for my backing tracks. I also tried a 15watt line 6 spider II which was perfect, but kind of expensive ($160.00) and I didn't like the clean sound as much as I did on the Vox. What do you guys recommend? I have a pod 2.0, so I really don't need effects on the amp, but I would like something with a decent tone. A friend of mine recommended a behringer amp, but I've never tried one, so I wasn't sure of how good they are. If the spider II, is worth the money, I don't mind spending $160, but that's about the most I can spend.

As for the acoustic guitar: I have a really cheap acoustic that I got when I first started learning the guitar 8 years ago, but I would like to get something nicer. I don't want to spend more than $1000 so that rules out a lot of the nicer martins, taylors, and brands like that. I was thinking about the Ibanez EP7 because I like the cutaway and I've heard that the electronics are pretty nice. So, I'm either thinking of the EP7, an Ovation, or a cheaper Martin or Taylor. Any ideas?

·
Registered
270 Posts
I've never played an Ibanez acoustic, but if Ibanez is on the guitar, the electronics are most likely pretty decent. A good ovation is never a bad buy. The rounded back gives it a really nice, full, mature sound. One thing I would be careful of with ovations is, do A LOT of research into each model because if I remember correctly Ovation is kinda sneaky as far as what they include in each, they like to cut corners where they can. I think I remember them having named certain models similar to others and they will be on very different ends of the quality spectrum. You can great a GREAT ovation, just be careful. As far as Martin and Taylor go, they are both great guitars (I don't know much about their electronics) and they both have very good distinct sounds. Very classic clean acoustic sound. I don't know if any of this will help, but thats my 2 cents.....Cheers! :mix: ~DJ Snoo~ :mix:

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
for an acoustic..hit the pawn shops...no really...i picked up a gibson b-25...1960 i believe for like $150 cndn...it's near mint condition too... :thumb:

garage sales(if you got the time) can yield awesome amps...my friend picked up a beautiful gretsch combo amp for $20...i picked up a mint national amp from a little old lady for $60...she said she bought it brand new in 1956...could be true..then again she could've been a little senile...but the amp was well taken care of and still makes the rounds today(i sold it for $250)...

good luck in your search... :toothless

·
Yankees Suck!
574 Posts
Taylor makes a model called the "Big Baby". Goes for around $350 new. I've played many of these and they are just awesome.Even the Baby Taylor's are very good - they're about $250 new. Both have a nice full, rich sound, and the notes on the Big Baby ring like bells.

·
Registered
235 Posts
brain said:
I'm looking for a practice amp and an acoustic guitar. For the amp: I mainly want to be able to play along with my backing tracks and use headphones. I've tried the vox pathfinder which I really liked, but it doesn't have a cd inpute for my backing tracks. I also tried a 15watt line 6 spider II which was perfect, but kind of expensive ($160.00) and I didn't like the clean sound as much as I did on the Vox. What do you guys recommend? I have a pod 2.0, so I really don't need effects on the amp, but I would like something with a decent tone. A friend of mine recommended a behringer amp, but I've never tried one, so I wasn't sure of how good they are. If the spider II, is worth the money, I don't mind spending $160, but that's about the most I can spend.

As for the acoustic guitar: I have a really cheap acoustic that I got when I first started learning the guitar 8 years ago, but I would like to get something nicer. I don't want to spend more than $1000 so that rules out a lot of the nicer martins, taylors, and brands like that. I was thinking about the Ibanez EP7 because I like the cutaway and I've heard that the electronics are pretty nice. So, I'm either thinking of the EP7, an Ovation, or a cheaper Martin or Taylor. Any ideas?
Hit Ebay Pal, I got a Guild for D-17m and it plays Really good, got mine for 500$ Canadian. I would look around

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
The nicest action i've ever played on a guitar was on an ibanez acoustic last year. Since it's the only ibanez acoustic ive ever played, im not sure if it was just a freak of nature that it played so well, or if it was standard. Whatever you buy, make sure it has an awesome setup before you hand over any cash :thumb:

G

·
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the advice. I think I'll keep looking on ebay for the spiderII amp, I'm sure I'll find a deal eventually. As for the acoustic, I'd still like to hear from anyone whos played the ibanez, but I guess I'll just have to keep playing untill I find one I like. I played a guitar at a high-end acoustic shop today, I don't even know the brand, but it was amazing. It had one of the best necks I've ever played, of course for over $2000 it was out of my price range. I looked for the Ibanez EP7 on ebay and the only one I found was more expensive there, than on the Musicians friend website :scratch:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Sounds like I need to hit the Garage sale/pawn shops. That Gibson B-25 is a great guitar. I've been meaning to buy one buy I dont think it's worth the $900+ people are asking for it on ebay.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts