Guitars101 - Guitar Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Ear Candy Distributor
10,268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New DREAM THEATER album, \'Train Of Thought\'

Wondered if anybody had heard this. If you know me, you'll know these guys are probably my fave band on the planet at the moment. First listening to me is that they went for a much heavier album than last time. John Petrucci seems to be shredding at maximum speed (which is not my fave side of him as a player). Anyone else heard it yet?

·
Registered
114 Posts
Re: New DREAM THEATER album, \'Train Of Thought\'

Haven't heard but I will pick it up! I like alot of their stuff! I thought they were a godsend in the 90's when I first heard "PULL ME UNDER". I thought, "Damn...these dudes KNOW HOW TO PLAY!" I will look for it! Petrucci is very cool in person too! He signed my Ibanez a few years back and talked to fans at a clininc he gave!

·
Premium Member
6,688 Posts

I've had the CD for a few days now and I'm still letting it sink in.
I agree with Stig. They have gone more metal that before, and JP probably is playing too many notes on some of his solos, loosing a lot of the musicality that I have come to expect from this band.

It seems as if they are making a move to gain a younger audience (who can blame them). The first song As I Am has been obvisouly crafted for radio play, since it doesn't have the complicated time signature changes and “prog” feel. As I am has in fact an alternative feel to me. I don't find it particularly representative of Dream theater.

Later on in the CD, songs get more convoluted and more Dream Theater-like, but I agree that the shredding at blinding speed wasn't necessary.

The album is not bad, but I feel that the band is short changing itself a bit here. Again they could have taken the safe road of doing Images and Words II, but chose to keep moving on. At least they didn't fuck up like Metallica did and in fact some of their songs have a Metallica feel. Somehow I feel that they do a much better job at doing Metallica songs than Metallica is these days...

·
Ear Candy Distributor
10,268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Funny you mention Metallica...I think that they may have taken a chance at trying to 'steal' some of the people who think St Anger is shit...me included. I mean Mike Portnoy can play rings round Lars Ulrich and Petrucci can shred like the best. The melodies are starting to get in my head now but I still think they ain't gonna top 'SFAM' for a while yet.

·
Premium Member
6,688 Posts

Scenes From A Memory is such an incredible masterpiece that it's unlikely we'll see anything like it from DT again I think. It would probably not be such a good idea to compete with their own concept album by making another one.

I think DT want to be able to take chances, releasing albums that are different in their vibe every time.

I believe it will take a little more time for me to assimilate all the songs from Train Of Though, even though the album isn't as complicated as some of their past ones...

Mike Portnoy is amazing!

·
Ear Candy Distributor
10,268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

I don't know about that CC. I mean Rush did 2112, Hemispheres, By-Tor, Natural Science...I know they weren't ALL album lenght like 'The Wall' but they took a concept on...and DT have done lots of tracks that reprise on the next album etc. You know why SFAM was such a hit? A lot of it was less complicated playing wise...I mean of course you had 'Home' into 'Dance...' but on the whole, it was easier on the ear and there was more of a repetitive vein that ran thru it ala Pink Floyd-to bring you back to a point. I love all their stuff because it's so better excecuted than ANY other band...But, and I hate to say this; some of the stuff on the new album had me thinking Malmsteen where he goes over old ground. Could it be the same problem where playing the million note widdle stuff all sounds the same after a while? I thought 'Misunderstood' and the awesome solo that Petrucci did (sort of Adrian Belew) was much more 'progressive' i.e we hadn't heard him do something like that before? It'll grow on me but not as much as SFAM, Falling Into Infinity and Awake...they are still the BEST at this stuff tho...by about 5 million light years!

·
Premium Member
6,688 Posts

[ QUOTE ]
wahwah said:
I don't know about that CC. I mean Rush did 2112, Hemispheres, By-Tor, Natural Science...I know they weren't ALL album lenght like 'The Wall' but they took a concept on...and DT have done lots of tracks that reprise on the next album etc. You know why SFAM was such a hit? A lot of it was less complicated playing wise...I mean of course you had 'Home' into 'Dance...' but on the whole, it was easier on the ear and there was more of a repetitive vein that ran thru it ala Pink Floyd-to bring you back to a point. I love all their stuff because it's so better excecuted than ANY other band...But, and I hate to say this; some of the stuff on the new album had me thinking Malmsteen where he goes over old ground. Could it be the same problem where playing the million note widdle stuff all sounds the same after a while? I thought 'Misunderstood' and the awesome solo that Petrucci did (sort of Adrian Belew) was much more 'progressive' i.e we hadn't heard him do something like that before? It'll grow on me but not as much as SFAM, Falling Into Infinity and Awake...they are still the BEST at this stuff tho...by about 5 million light years!

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know much about Rush, and have to say I have little patience for Pink Floyd, which never really got to me for some reason. Maybe it's because I never smoked pot, I don't know...

Anyway, I agree that after listening to Awake for instance, you're left with a certain aftertaste of joy. It takes you places, shows you moods—it's an adventure and same with SFAM.

From SDOIT, I agree that Misunderstood is a brilliant song. I learned how to play the intro which I really like.

I hope I can find people with similar taste to jam with some day. The friends I play with are more Classic rock/pop. It's OK because I should feel lucky to play at all, but it doesn't always toot my horn.

·
Ear Candy Distributor
10,268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

YES, YES, THRICE YES! Start by listening to 'Pull Me Under' for probably the BEST plucked chorused sound EVER-it's about 14 years old now but it's a doozy! Gotta say that 'As I Am' has now entered the system and I think it's amazing! I like the forced stops on the chorus and the solo is smokin'. Then I would say that the instrumental 'Stream of Consciousness' is the next biggy. I have never smoked pot and my Floyd is limited to about 4 albums that I love BUT Dream Theater definitely borrowed the idea for the concept and some of the sounds and scales from 'The Wall'...or my names Susan!

·
Premium Member
6,688 Posts

OK Susan,,,, er, never mind! LOL!

Mondola, you probably should start off with the Images And Words album, which contains Pull Me Under. wahah is right, it's amazing... but it could take getting used to from someone who's never been exposed to it.
All I have to say is that DT is part of my ife now. It's very different from VH and should not be compared to it, but if you can appreciate musicianship at its best you may get sucked right in.

Some say that DT is pretentious, but I feel that it's said out of pure envy or jaleousy, because these musicians can indeed play circles around most rock musicians on the scene in the present and in the past decades as well...

Another strong suggestion I would make is to check out Symphony X, for a more melodic metal approach. Symphony X is also a staple of my CD player now.

·
Registered
263 Posts

jealousy? naah....it's just that most people find Dream Theater, and 'progressive-metal' to be one of the most self-indulgent forms of expression there is.
"Look how intricate we play....look how complex our music is...."......whatEVER......I am so tired of hearing that people who dislike Prog do so simply out of jealousy or lack of skill....RIGHT...like Tony Iommi is jealous of those 'schooled' boys. Nope...'fraid not. and most everyone agrees with me, which is why....20 years from now....you will still hear Iron Man (one of the most simple Metal songs EVER...)on the radio, and Dream Theater ALREADY has gone off the radar screen.......

·
Registered
263 Posts

one more thing....MORE doesn't mean better
neither does FASTER....

MORE COMPLEX doesn't mean better quality...
usually, from a listener's standpoint, it's the opposite.

Confucious say: It is not enough to know HOW to. To be a TRUE master, one must learn when NOT to.

·
Ear Candy Distributor
10,268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

True, but it's nice to hear it done well. Petrucci can play Jazz (Dance Of Eternity), ballads (Hell's Kitchen, The Spirit Carries On and a million others), Metal (As I Am, 6 o clock), Avant Garde (Misunderstood), Blues...and he's good at it. If you read the beginning of this link, you'll see we were bemoaning the fact that some of the solo's on the new album are a bit too speedy and it's not his best feature. I can't stand Symphony X myself...wierd eh? Not really...one mans passion is another mans poison. I'm not one for most other metal bands either but Dream Theater just take me because they have stuck to their guns, all write music and lyrics and play with an intensity that isn't matched by any I can think of..and you're right-more doesn't mean better. I'm listening to 'Fuck Like a Beast' by WASP at the moment and it's up there with 'Pull Me Under' for me but I have no idea why! Thats my music...intensity is everything!

·
Ear Candy Distributor
10,268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

'Off The Radar'? No way brother. DT will be remembered for a long time for their stance at putting two fingers up at MTV and releasing 12 minute singles! Thank God somebody is...

·
Registered
263 Posts

I agree with you on that point, ....for sticking to thier guns and not 'dumbing-down' their music just to sell a few more....ya gotta respect that...also, they are VH fans, so how bad can they be, eh? I heard their version of Mean Streets...with piano! and it was KILLER!

G

·

[ QUOTE ]
mondola said:
Hmm, I have never heard any Dream Theater. Everyone tells me I should listen to it, but I just haven't got round to it yet.

I should really go and check them out I suppse eh ?

[/ QUOTE ]Here's a few places to go!!

DT Boots

The Dance Of Eternity

Paradigm Shift

I've only been into DT for a year, and only because I D/Led their Paris show from last year where they covered Iron Maiden's Number Of The Beast (the ALBUM, not just the song)

Glad to see I'm not the only one who thinks there's too much shredding on this--I couldn't tell a few of 'em apart at first!

·
Ear Candy Distributor
10,268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

The album is starting to get to me but it sounds awfully like some of the other stuff...they're too clever by half...As I Am is an awesome metal song tho!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts