Guitars101 - Guitar Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello out there.
Im looking for a new lefthanded metal guitar.
Ive only been playing guitar for a ½ year.
so far i've been looking at:
Ibanez RG370dxl
Jackson DK2L
BC Rich NT warlock left handed
ESP KH-202 left handed

I dunno which to pick..
Please comment on each of the guitars, and tell me which one i should go for and why.
Eventually a link for another good one. i got a maximum of 1100$

Thanks
Teit

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey there!

I have an Ibanez RG470, and an ESP KH-202 which I use as my backup (my main guitar is a Jackson RR1). The Ibanez is a nice guitar, though nothing outstanding. I've had mine for about 14 years, so I've played it a lot! I replaced the pickups with Seymour Duncans because the originals weren't metal enough for me :)

The ESP I really like. It has a nice flat, fairly wide neck and quite decent stock pickups. I play mine a lot in the house when I'm writing tunes. The licensed Floyd Rose trem is not up to the same standard as the real thing - tends to go out of tune if you go really wild with the dive bombs. Otherwise I think it's a fine guitar for the money, which has a nice feel of quality about it. By way of comparison, I have a Gibson LP Studio, which cost almost twice as much and can't hold a candle to the ESP.

I've never played a BC Rich, because I've never been able to find a lefty, but the bassist in my band had a Warlock bass years ago, which was once owned by Bob Daisley and to be honest he found it to be pretty poor.

As far as Jacksons go, well I'm a fan! I've played a DK2L a couple of years ago and thought it was a decent guitar, but not as good as the ESP. Now I've got an RR1, which I've wanted for over 20 years!! And I've gotta tell you it's the pinnacle of metal guitars. Of course I understand that a USA made Jackson is probably beyond your budget, but maybe somthing to think about for the future?

If I were you, I would try out all the guitars you are considering and maybe one or two others for comparison - preferably through a similar amp to the one you use. Pick the one that has the nicest feel and sounds best for the kind of music you play. It's always best to try an instrument before you buy, rather than buying on the net. Sometimes difficult to find lefties in stores, but worth trying for.

Good luck, I hope you find what you're looking for. Us lefties need more guitars!!!!

Cheers
Thorne

1 - 2 of 2 Posts