Guitars101 - Guitar Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Ear Candy Distributor
10,268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just recieved a copy of a compilation album that my old band have emerged on. It's called 'Total Metal Attack' and is released on Old School Records (www.oldschoolrecords.net ) and is a track we recorded in 1986 called '(Get Off Your) High Horse'. We had high expectations at the time for this demo but nobody was interested. Atlantic and Bronze records made a bit of a noise but never showed any money and Johnny Z from Megaforce in the US was full of we were gonna be the UK's answer to Ratt but never put his money where his mouth was! The demo was recorded at Fairview Studio's in Hull where Def Leppard did their early demo's. The tape with this track on had been lying around for about 15 years so I'm just glad to get it to cd for prosperity! Anyway, the song certainly sounds '80's! We were listening to Ratt, W.A.S.P, Y & T and the like at the time so you can hear the influences. I remember loving the guitar tone the guy got for me in the studio whereas the next month, we did a session for Tommy Vance for the Friday Rock Show on BBC Radio 1 with veteran producer Tony Wilson and it sounded horrible. It was just a Marshall 100w MV with Groove Tubes (no 2's), a 4 x 12, Vox Distortion and an Ibanez Roadstar but he got it sounding like Jake E Lee to my young(er) ears! Anyway, if you like this, check out the album at the website and BUY IT!!!!!!!!!!! :mix:

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Ratt, W.A.S.P, Y & T, Quiet Riot, Motley Crew all those bands had the post VH Sunset Boulevard legacy yet they sucked. This recording represents everything those cartoonish bands could not do. The Vocals on this have real balls and your guitar work is thrilling! This is party metal as it should have been. West Hollywood was rescued by Guns&Roses. With a little more snake oil with this lineup, you would have gone far in that era. You all should have moved to Hollywood and did what Axle and Slash did: Work at Tower Records while waiting to hit it big (However, Slash was fired from Tower for stealing).

On the second and third listen, this tune really sinks in. Fantastic!!!

·
Registered
58 Posts
strat78 said:
Ratt, W.A.S.P, Y & T, Quiet Riot, Motley Crew all those bands had the post VH Sunset Boulevard legacy yet they sucked.
By their absence from the list, I take you thought that Poison were great then...? ;)

CC Deville certainly did it with style :lol:

·
Ear Candy Distributor
10,268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
strat78 said:
Ratt, W.A.S.P, Y & T, Quiet Riot, Motley Crew all those bands had the post VH Sunset Boulevard legacy yet they sucked. This recording represents everything those cartoonish bands could not do. The Vocals on this have real balls and your guitar work is thrilling! This is party metal as it should have been. West Hollywood was rescued by Guns&Roses. With a little more snake oil with this lineup, you would have gone far in that era. You all should have moved to Hollywood and did what Axle and Slash did: Work at Tower Records while waiting to hit it big (However, Slash was fired from Tower for stealing).

On the second and third listen, this tune really sinks in. Fantastic!!!
I think Y&T were great until they sacked Leonard Haze for not looking like a girl, having a beer gut and refusing to wear make-up. They replaced him with a cute ass drummer who was so good, they had to get Steve Smith out of Journey to do the album! His name was Jimmy De Grasso and he eventually ended up in Megadeth somehow!

I think W.A.S.P were great due to Blackie Lawless' vision and awesome voice...certainly our singer wanted to sing like him on this track!

Ratt had great guitar riffs (Lay It Down, Way Cool Jnr, Right Between The Eyes etc) but that guy's voice was weak.

Motley Crue I never really got as musically they were a watered down VH for me. Off-stage they were determined to shock and the death of Razzle from Hanoi Rocks in Vince Neal's car was just a waste...you ever hear his solo album with Steve Stevens??? Hot playing...weak vocals! And as a final nugget of useless info, did you know that Steve Stevens was the original guy that was gonna hook up with Billy Sheehan for Mr Big???? Interesting fact no.487. :thumb:

Thanks for listening and commenting guys.

·
Registered
4,532 Posts
Killer tune, Chris!!!! Really rocked!!!:jam: :jam: I've heard a few of your old band's songs now...you guys were REALLY good!!!:icon_thum It's really a shame that things never fell into place for ya's!!:mad:

G

·
Chris that was fantastic, I'm another 80's kid and loved this, really reminded me of the early Dokken albums like Tooth 'n Nail and Unchained...The solo was (I thought) George Lynch inspired here and there...great song. :)

·
Registered
886 Posts
That was amazing. I've heard a lot about this band. It was great to finally hear something. Was Malla on the drums too? It was as good a song as any of the other 80's bands were knocking out, shame that Black Rose could not be up there amongst the greats.

·
Ear Candy Distributor
10,268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks guys. Yeah, that's Malla on the drums Phil...and you can hear his vocals as well-he has a voice that carries over everything! Same as a lot of bands we never got the breaks but was prolly because we started to sound like other bands rather than following our roots as we did at the beginning...we were VERY heavy when we started out! :santa:

·
Ear Candy Distributor
10,268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Justin G said:
Chris that was fantastic, I'm another 80's kid and loved this, really reminded me of the early Dokken albums like Tooth 'n Nail and Unchained...The solo was (I thought) George Lynch inspired here and there...great song. :)
Loved Lynch (still do!) :rock: Thanks for the comments. :thumb:

·
excess to requirements
7,118 Posts
Hi wahwah. I have just listened to this and it really is amazing! (would have listened sooner if I wasn't working away for the last couple of days :)).

Very cool! :thumb:

·
drunken loser!
444 Posts
this is going on a disc for my van!!! dude
only the finest make it into my van
do you get royalties for this and if you do will you use them to buy some grout for your studio.
:thumb:

·
Ear Candy Distributor
10,268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
ricklepotamous said:
this is going on a disc for my van!!! dude
only the finest make it into my van
do you get royalties for this and if you do will you use them to buy some grout for your studio.
:thumb:
Hopeful that we may make some but, enough to buy grout? Hadn't thought of aiming that high mate! :scif890:

·
Premium Member
1,944 Posts
FUCK YEAH!!!!!!! I loved this and added it to my morning wake up playlist. As a show of support I'll be ordering a copy of this for my very own. God I miss the '80's.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts