Guitars101 - Guitar Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i bought this cheap fatstrat copy from my cousin a couple of months ago and its just been sitting around while i was deciding what to do with it. i finally decided to make a myself a bona fide strat out of it.
my apologies for the crappy pics. i took these with the cheap camera. :irk: its looks a tad darker than what it really is.
the first pic is what it looked like when i first got it.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
im gonna try to get away with using the stock tuners to. at least they are sealed tuners. im also gonna fix the trem bridge where it wont move...i dont think ill need a whammy on this guitar.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
thanks EJ.haha...dont worry, no stripes here. :D
hopefully ill have it finished by next week. i still have to order the pups.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
the new pickguard didnt exactly line up with the old screw holes. so i filled them a little wood filler and decided ill just make new ones. :toothless

·
Banned
7,011 Posts
MattM said:
the new pickguard didnt exactly line up with the old screw holes. so i filled them a little wood filler and decided ill just make new ones. :toothless
Unfortunately woodfiller isn't really durable for screws, especially if part of the new screw hole is using the old hole. Get a couple of tooth picks and some wood glue. Drop a dab of glue in the hole with a piece of toothpick, then trim of the excess toothpick. One tooth pick should be enough for the hole width, but if it is a little bigger, just shove another toothpick in there! This way you will have wood for the screws to grip as you put back that pick guard :thumb: Don't forget the [email protected]

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
why didnt i think of that? :doh: ah well...i will find out if it works on way or the other.lol :icon_thum

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks. yeah i like the maple neck with the white and green. although my fav strat is sunburst with white and maple.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I'm interested in seeing and maybe hearing the end result for this project. I'm constantly thinking about doing this to a cheap Strat or something. I'm in the process of building a Strat with a body and a neck from Warmoth so theres no reason why it shouldn't sound good but I've always wondered if one could turn a cheap axe into something quite good as long as the body isn't laminate plywood...

·
Banned
7,011 Posts
berseker said:
I'm interested in seeing and maybe hearing the end result for this project. I'm constantly thinking about doing this to a cheap Strat or something. I'm in the process of building a Strat with a body and a neck from Warmoth so theres no reason why it shouldn't sound good but I've always wondered if one could turn a cheap axe into something quite good as long as the body isn't laminate plywood...
:D Of course it can, and HAS, been done!

·
Napoleon Dynamite
4,533 Posts
El_jalepeno said:
Unfortunately woodfiller isn't really durable for screws, especially if part of the new screw hole is using the old hole. Get a couple of tooth picks and some wood glue. Drop a dab of glue in the hole with a piece of toothpick, then trim of the excess toothpick. One tooth pick should be enough for the hole width, but if it is a little bigger, just shove another toothpick in there! This way you will have wood for the screws to grip as you put back that pick guard :thumb: Don't forget the [email protected]
Golf tees are actually made of stronger wood than the typical pine wood used to make toothpicks and are a better choice for a filler.

·
Registered
77 Posts
El_jalepeno said:
:D Of course it can, and HAS, been done!
Yes, but does putting a Duncan, say Sperzel tuners and a Schaller bridge really help a real cheap guitar sound good, even really good? That always made wonder if I should spend extra bucks on a...corean made strat copy for example.

·
Banned
7,011 Posts
berseker said:
Yes, but does putting a Duncan, say Sperzel tuners and a Schaller bridge really help a real cheap guitar sound good, even really good? That always made wonder if I should spend extra bucks on a...corean made strat copy for example.
OK, what makes a guitar "good"? The body, the neck, the hardware, and the electronics. You take a maple neck with some "good" tuners that keep the strings in tune, nice solid wood body, drop a pickup that isn't radiophonic and wire that puppy up and put in standard trem.

I define a guitar as "good" if it serves YOUR purpose. There is a band I was reading about called the Weavils... I think. They made guitars out of toilet seats and strung it with 4 or 5 strings. Served their purposes, even though I wouldn;t use the damn thing!

Also, Your playing and the amp will have an impact on how good the guitar is. They are all factors. I don't want to start the debate of which is more important, but there are a lot of factors involved, and the most important is if the guitar works for your purposes. :thumb:

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
Yep I agree....the 2 things you want to avoid are cheap ass tuners or a POS bridge.....becasue no matter what, you need the thing to stay in tune. As long as the neck is not broken or warped and you have any kind of a decent PUP...it should meet your needs and sound great....just check the intonnation up and down the neck.

Years ago...there was some real crap out there being imported....but today most imports are pretty damn good guitars and not much money either.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
pickguard is on no probs! :icon_cool

ok quick question...what happens if you put 500k pots on a 3 single coil strat? i believe you are supposed to use 250k pots on single coils, correct? the stock pots are 500k but it had a humbucker before. im thinking i know.... but im not entirely sure. :D a difference in output? electronics skills are a tad rusty...:eek:
i could leave the stock cheap ones in there or i could go buy some 250k's.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
berseker said:
It all changes from guitar to guitar. You could find a korean guitar thats only good for firewood, or you might find one that becomes your #1 axe. You just need to shop around and find a good solid guitar for a base to modify.

·
Banned
7,011 Posts
MattM said:
pickguard is on no probs! :icon_cool

ok quick question...what happens if you put 500k pots on a 3 single coil strat? i believe you are supposed to use 250k pots on single coils, correct? the stock pots are 500k but it had a humbucker before. im thinking i know.... but im not entirely sure. :D a difference in output? electronics skills are a tad rusty...:eek:
i could leave the stock cheap ones in there or i could go buy some 250k's.
It took me .3 seconds to find this link from a "500k" search on this forum :thumb:

http://www.guitars101.com/vb/showthread.php?t=23206&highlight=500k

1 - 20 of 23 Posts