Guitars101 - Guitar Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone! I'm new both to the forums and to the world of guitar altogether. I just got my very first guitar about a month ago and though I'd share a couple pics.

I know it's a really cheapo guitar (Yamaha Pacifica PAC012), but it was all I could afford. Hopefully I can get a better one soon. The amp is a Yamaha GA15, also cheapo, but that's ok.

Let me know what you guys think!

·
Registered
238 Posts
It is the start of a lifetime of fun. Seriously, I am 56, and still sit down daily and try to figure out tunes. Been playing 42 years, (doesn't sound it). Best tip, play along with records, so you can appreciate the greats, like Eric Clapton, Jeff Beck, and the legendary Larry Carlton pre 1990 when he got hurt.

·
Registered
5 Posts
It's your first so it will mean the world. Remember the feeling very well.

Wherever your music takes you, your first guitar is something very very special. Yamaha do most things right so it's a great choice!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Contrary to popular belief... not all 'cheap' guitars suck and inexpensive doesn't always mean 'cheap!' Yamaha makes a pretty nice instrument and if you enjoy playing it... then it will have an extra special meaning for you especially being your first.

My first was a 1986 Fender Stratocaster (MIJ) that I bought for about $325 and it will always be my favorite. Since then I've collected a few other guitars... a $200 Squire, A $100 Lyon/Washburn, and a near mint 1989 Kramer Baretta I among others. The Kramer is easily the most expensive... plays and sounds great... but I love playing my Strat the best. Along the way I found that the Squire was a much better guitar than I was lead to believe and even the inexpensive Lyon/Washburn is a pretty solid guitar that I enjoy playing.

If it feels good, sounds good and stays in tune without breaking down on you... I consider it a decent guitar... regardless of what I paid for it.

Welcome to the world of guitar... enjoy your stay!

·
Registered
4 Posts
cool-and welcome to the 6 string world ;-)

don't get bogged down with names and stuff at this stage. My first guitar 25 years ago was a Japanese Tokai-very cheap but man i loved that guitar and sadly-as most have to-i sold it to upgrade-i now wish i had the funds at the time to keep it-cheap as it may have been

most important -enjoy it-and get a great teacher to start with-one that gives plenty of printed material/theory and one that does not force you to learn a load of stuff you'll never really use. Take a list of your fave tunes you'd like to explore-and be cheeck even and download the midi backing files if they're out there as plractic has to be with timing-and a metronome os boring

ps-dont get in the habit of practicing unplugged too much too-unless your playing an acoustic

1 - 8 of 8 Posts