Guitars101 - Guitar Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Knowing nothing about playing guitar, I picked up my first guitar (a Squier Stagemaster S-S-H) (well we all gotta start somewhere! why not start cheap!) maybe a little over a year ago. I've fiddled with it teaching myself some riffs, some chords, and power chords to start off. If I wanted to hear myself usually I'd run it through my Audigy 2 soundcard and just add on a distortion effect (which really sounds crappy), so usually I chose to listen to it 'strings only' accoustically without headphones or anything (being as I'm usually playing at times I require really low volume levels any way). I have a REALLY bad habit of picking the guitar up for a few minutes, playing a riff or two, or a few notes of a song and then putting it right back down. I guess I get discouraged (probably from the lack of being able to hear it sounding good) and disinterested pretty easy. I think I can make some stuff sound good, but other stuff I feel I can't touch. I don't know where I should be after having played a year (but definately not much time invested in it). The determination just hasn't really been there until coming here.

G'z, you guys make it sound so good, and completely effortless, it really encourages me to want to try and put a little more time and effort into this.

Over the time I've been playing, I've developed this nasty habit of playing power chords with my index finger and pinky (2 string power chords). I know most tablature is usually written for 3 string power chords - usually I just drop the top string all together and play how my fingers have been most comfortable/flexible. I can't really seem to get it down pat using my index finger and ring finger like most players I've seen. I feel really uncoordinated that way - but that's probably because I started out wrong. (Not to say there's a right or wrong way to play) but.. accoustically, to my ears, the chord doesn't sound a whole lot less different than a 3 string power chord but I know it's lacking some extra "punch".

I don't plan on doing any gigs or playing live at any time - but I'm learning to play as a hobby and pass-time for myself. After listening to a lot of the audio submissions here on this site I'm amped about picking up a PODxt or similar to try and bring some tone and electric listening ability into my playing.

Here's my biggest concern - Do you think I should do my best to re-train myself power-chords with 3-strings and finger them the right way, or should I continue down the road I'm on, now?

Thanks guys!

·
Banned
1,701 Posts
Rocklobster said:
Knowing nothing about playing guitar, I picked up my first guitar (a Squier Stagemaster S-S-H) (well we all gotta start somewhere! why not start cheap!) maybe a little over a year ago. I've fiddled with it teaching myself some riffs, some chords, and power chords to start off. If I wanted to hear myself usually I'd run it through my Audigy 2 soundcard and just add on a distortion effect (which really sounds crappy), so usually I chose to listen to it 'strings only' accoustically without headphones or anything (being as I'm usually playing at times I require really low volume levels any way). I have a REALLY bad habit of picking the guitar up for a few minutes, playing a riff or two, or a few notes of a song and then putting it right back down. I guess I get discouraged (probably from the lack of being able to hear it sounding good) and disinterested pretty easy. I think I can make some stuff sound good, but other stuff I feel I can't touch. I don't know where I should be after having played a year (but definately not much time invested in it). The determination just hasn't really been there until coming here.

G'z, you guys make it sound so good, and completely effortless, it really encourages me to want to try and put a little more time and effort into this.

Over the time I've been playing, I've developed this nasty habit of playing power chords with my index finger and pinky (2 string power chords). I know most tablature is usually written for 3 string power chords - usually I just drop the top string all together and play how my fingers have been most comfortable/flexible. I can't really seem to get it down pat using my index finger and ring finger like most players I've seen. I feel really uncoordinated that way - but that's probably because I started out wrong. (Not to say there's a right or wrong way to play) but.. accoustically, to my ears, the chord doesn't sound a whole lot less different than a 3 string power chord but I know it's lacking some extra "punch".

I don't plan on doing any gigs or playing live at any time - but I'm learning to play as a hobby and pass-time for myself. After listening to a lot of the audio submissions here on this site I'm amped about picking up a PODxt or similar to try and bring some tone and electric listening ability into my playing.

Here's my biggest concern - Do you think I should do my best to re-train myself power-chords with 3-strings and finger them the right way, or should I continue down the road I'm on, now?

Thanks guys!
Well Rock Lobster - why are you playing Power Chords with your fingers? Why would you play only 3 strings of a chord? A power chord is just that, a whole chord with all 6 strings. Sure you can play any string you want, but when I think Power Chord, I think of Pete Townsend doing the big Windmill power chord with that big ass triangle pick he used to use.

Anyway when I want to hit a huge chord on guitar - I use all the strings. It's only when I need a certain sound would I ever only use certain strings.

·
Registered
3,048 Posts
GuitarPlayingPJ said:
Well Rock Lobster - why are you playing Power Chords with your fingers? Why would you play only 3 strings of a chord? A power chord is just that, a whole chord with all 6 strings. Sure you can play any string you want, but when I think Power Chord, I think of Pete Townsend doing the big Windmill power chord with that big ass triangle pick he used to use.

Anyway when I want to hit a huge chord on guitar - I use all the strings. It's only when I need a certain sound would I ever only use certain strings.
Yeah, the term has kind of changed to mean any 5 chord. Usually played as the top 3 strings of an E, A, or D form.

To answer the OP...yes, learn with three strings. I used to barre with my pinky but other ways to do it include barre with ring finger or play with both ring and pinky...which fits more with the barre chord form you are chomping.

·
Banned
1,701 Posts
nroberts said:
Yeah, the term has kind of changed to mean any 5 chord. Usually played as the top 3 strings of an E, A, or D form.

To answer the OP...yes, learn with three strings. I used to barre with my pinky but other ways to do it include barre with ring finger or play with both ring and pinky...which fits more with the barre chord form you are chomping.
Ahh! Thanks for setting me straight there NRoberts!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hmm, maybe there was a miscommunication on my part. I'm playing "power" chords to move up and down the neck fairly easy and quick (i.e. crunchy rhythm guitar sound). I didn't really mean to imply that I was playing full chords on an accoustic guitar. I can't really see for example, James Hetfield playing Master of Puppets using real "full" chords, heh.

·
Registered
309 Posts
when I was learning I started with 2 string power chords (using index and ring finger). After I was confedent and played smoothly with those I just started adding in that pinky on and practiced like crazy. Small hands makes this very hard, I had small hands when I was learning them and it sucked. Now I have monster hands and now I feel like my soloing suffers. Practice is the key, if you want to get better dont doubt yourself and set the guitar down. just swap your pinky with your ring finger and get practicing those 2 stringers then move on to 3 strings when your ready.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
I have always been of the opinion that "power chords" are of the 2 string variety that are normally played with fingers 1 and 3. I figured that they were called "power chrods" not so much because all of the strings are played, and are therefore more "powerfull" , but because you can quickly change from one chord to another, and because they are most commonly used in rock and heavey metal tunes. BUT - I could be wrong on that point.

I know that when I first stared playing I learned these 2 finger chords first, and then graduated to full barr chords, and then to more advanced "voicings". I never had any lessons - taught myself by ear - so I probably don't have the worlds most correct technique, but the "power chords" were what layed a foundation for me that then led in to more sophisticated things later on down the road.

Just my .02!

Rj

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the opinions so far - seems as though most players play power chords on 3 strings. I'm trying to force myself to use my 1st & 3rd finger. I've watched some players and it seems as though they hit the 3rd string with their 3rd (ring) finger, too.. as though they're depressing the 2nd and 3rd string both with the 3rd finger. But from reading opinions here so far, it sounds as though most of you are using the pinky finger to accompany depressing that 3rd string.

I picked up a PODxt locally today so I can hear the guitar better and I have it running through my PC via Line In and digitally connected for recording via USB. But, it sounds like hell to me. Like I mentioned in my originating post, I have a Squier Stagemaster S-S-H and even when I have the humbucker kicked in a get a constant hum on most of the factory pre-set tones in the PODxt. The hum stops when I palm mute the strings, but otherwise the hum is pretty constant no matter how close or far I am from anything electrical.

Think it's just really cheap pick-ups in the guitar that's causing this?

·
Registered
733 Posts
Rocklobster said:
I picked up a PODxt locally today so I can hear the guitar better and I have it running through my PC via Line In and digitally connected for recording via USB. But, it sounds like hell to me. Like I mentioned in my originating post, I have a Squier Stagemaster S-S-H and even when I have the humbucker kicked in a get a constant hum on most of the factory pre-set tones in the PODxt. The hum stops when I palm mute the strings, but otherwise the hum is pretty constant no matter how close or far I am from anything electrical.

Think it's just really cheap pick-ups in the guitar that's causing this?
you have a humbucker...so if it does it in the humbucker postion its not the pickups. if the hum stops anytime you touch the strings or the bridge, you probably just have a bad connection on the bridge ground. you can resolder that or take it to a shop and have it done...wouldnt be much.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hmm, very good - it did have to do with the ground! But it's got a good soldering job at the ground point, I think perhaps it's a bad ground wiring path from the output, knobs and pickups itself - it looks like it's a "ground loop"? Isn't the best way to wire everything is having each ground wire going directly to the ground path (as compared to linking them together elsewhere and then eventually leading up to the ground)?

·
Registered
22 Posts
try this patch

check out this patch for podxt it is acdc ish good for power chords or whatever ya want to call them get guitar port if ya dont have it and check it out the podxt is crazy it dont sound good till ya really screw with itsorry to say.

part

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts