Guitars101 - Guitar Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Number one, what is a 'balanced' mic?

Second, can someone help me find the right mic for my budget recording needs? As well as micing my amp, I want to record a bunch of acoustic instruments (guitars, mandolin, piano, wind instruments, percussion, etc). My singing is so bad that I am not tempted to capture it. How can I best spend, say $150 to do all of the above at a basic level?

Thanks!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
balanced cable...is for the rejection of noise. Here's a in-depth description:

http://www.rane.com/par-b.html

For recording guitar, the 57 is a good place to start.

I haven't tried the 57 on acoustic, but you could give it a try...worth seeing how it sounds. After you get it, you can decide from there if you want to spend some dough on a condenser mic (which would require a phantom power source -- be it a mixer or a mic preamp).

·
Registered
6 Posts
The sure sm57 is a good all around mic. But if you are going to be doing a lot of acoustic instruments you really need to get a good condenser mic. The sm57 is good for amps and drums because it can handle the bigger sound pressures they give off (in other words Loud!). Unfortunately there is no one mic that does it all. Your recorded sound is only going to be as good as the mic that records it. Like I said, you can't go wrong with the sm57 to start but look to save up and add at least one good (mid range) condenser mic. And always avoid anything Guitar Center calls a "great deal". You know.. "$99.00 condenser mic three pack with free case" Good luck.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Have you been to Prosound.web and check out their recording forum?http://recforums.prosoundweb.com/

If you're a newbie just go there and lurk, (the pros are hard on you if you post and don't know what you're talking about) but you'll learn tons about best mic for such and such, mic placement, etc. The have a lot of technical stuff at other places on the site to explain things like Balanced cabling, why condenser mics are best in certain applications and a host of other things. Enjoy

Check out the Lab lounge there for live sound applications, too.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info and links guys (or gals - I didn't look too close). I just bought a used tape portastudio yesterday. I was going to go for a Sure57, but it came bundled with some sort of used cheapo Vtech - which everyone at the shop raved about - so I thought "No hurry, lets see what happens". Well, I recoded everything in the house last night, and I have to say that this guy did a very decent job (to my uneducated ear). Even my kids version of a Chipmonks tune came out nice.

Thanks again!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts