Guitars101 - Guitar Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
excess to requirements
7,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I replaced my old case with one of these. http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/specpage.html?NEX-BREEZ4

It is very good and has significantly reduced the overall noise. However I am still getting quite a lot of hum from my gfx card. It is a leadtek A360 (fx5700 ultra) with a brute of a cooling fan on it. I am prepared to replace it for a lesser spec card (one with a cooling block rather than a fan) but I really need dual monitor support.

The processor fan is also very noisy but that is an easy fix.

Any suggestions on an ultra quiet gfx card?

·
Registered
3,048 Posts
Goport said:
Today I replaced my old case with one of these. http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/specpage.html?NEX-BREEZ4

It is very good and has significantly reduced the overall noise. However I am still getting quite a lot of hum from my gfx card. It is a leadtek A360 (fx5700 ultra) with a brute of a cooling fan on it. I am prepared to replace it for a lesser spec card (one with a cooling block rather than a fan) but I really need dual monitor support.

Well, anything that doesn't need a damn fan should do. If you are just doing audio stuff with it that isn't an issue, get a cheap $50 card and call it good. If you are a big time gamer though...

You can replace your cpu fan with adjustable speed system.

You could also consider going water cooled. It should, theoretically, be much quieter. The only noisy part is going to be the fan going across the radiator, but you can put that outside or something. That is a rather expensive route though unless you diy and then it becomes rather dangerous.

I have a GForce 5700FX and it doesn't seem to make a whole lot of noise. It plays games good enough for me also...but I don't play games very often. I was really happy with my Matrox Millenium G450 that had dual monitor setup and no fan until I tried to play Angel of Darkness and needed Directx9...it won't do D9. But it has no fan and two VGA out ports (no adapter needed).

You might also be able to just get a couple cheap PCI video cards and use them. I know Linux can work with that, Windows should be able to...but then it disappoints me in what it is able to accomplish quite often.

Or, you can just set up sound bariers around your computer. Don't block it in too much or it won't get enough cool air, but you can at least keep the sound from getting to you or your mic too much.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
from the case youve got it seems like your issue shouldnt be a problem?

i use a thermaltake lanfire which has the adjustable speed fans but most of the time theyr on full lol

yer pc is probably the quietest yer gonna get for wots innit and how its designed

·
excess to requirements
7,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies. It isn't noisy as such but I just wanted silence :lol: I just tried a vocal track and there is very little background noise whatsoever. So it seems like the case has done its job.

Thanks again

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
you mean you havnt got a soundproof room? lol ;)

erm just an idea here, yer mic has probably got a long lead, start the recording and lock yerself in the loo on the floor where ya pc is and sing in the loo rofl ;)

sounds silly but its probably the quietest place for recording rofl ;) (just remember not to flush lol)

·
Registered
3,048 Posts
SLoB said:
Well, that doesn't help if the computer is in it :p

That is the way mine will be designed. I can't make a room for the computer seperate and wouldn't know how to control the damn thing if it was. What I will probably do though is build something to encase the computer and muffle its noises.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Goport said:

if you run winders... ATI cards are quite!

·
I am a meat popsicle
4,743 Posts
Lawrence...You seem to have some solid suggestions offered here...to me, the power supply was always the noisiest component. I use an Antec True Power and it is quiet as a mouse...since that release, others are quieter....and a quiet CPU fan..My rig is not "rigged for silent running" but I can overcome that with recording through headphones....(doesn't pick up the bleed fro the mic). Best of luck with it and look forward to even better contributions from you with the new setup!! :icon_thum

·
excess to requirements
7,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I hCheers everybody :) I do have a decent psu, it came with the case and is very quiet. The noise is decinately coming from the Gfx card and the processor fan. I will replace these at the end of the month. It wouldn't matter so much but the new mic (B2 Pro) is more sensitive and can just about pick up the hum. Saying that it also picks up a bit of bleed from the headphones. I think it is time for me to carpet the walls in the studio :lol:

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
Or let one go !!! :notme:
SLoB said:
erm just an idea here, yer mic has probably got a long lead, start the recording and lock yerself in the loo on the floor where ya pc is and sing in the loo rofl ;)

sounds silly but its probably the quietest place for recording rofl ;) (just remember not to flush lol)

·
Napoleon Dynamite
4,533 Posts
Porty, I have found that the most quiet PCs are the ones that are turned off.

·
excess to requirements
7,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Good point!! Or busted ones ;)

·
Registered
3,048 Posts
stingx said:
Porty, I have found that the most quiet PCs are the ones that are turned off.
Sort of like the only secure PC being one that is burried 3 miles beneath the earth's crust, encased in lead, with no connections to anything, and is turned off.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Hey there -

Not sure if you have ever checked out this site or not:
http://www.endpcnoise.com/

They have just about anything you need in terms of quieting down your system. For your video card check out one on these:
http://www.endpcnoise.com/cgi-bin/e/zm80c-hp.html

Totally silent, no fans, excellent cooling, less than $30 and installs in about 15 min. I installed one on my TI4200 and it works great, been on there for 2 years with no problems.

-dc

·
excess to requirements
7,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thank you for all your input. I am happy with the noise reduction I have for the time being but I will be looking into it shortly. many thanks

·
Premium Member
4,955 Posts
sound gate/ sound suppressor and moving away from my computer seems to be enough ,though not perfect, neither am I. ever think of buiding a sheilding box to go over your whole CPU?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Hi,

I never really noticed how much my PC was bugging me until I read about noisey PCs in studios. Mine seemed to get louder after reading that LOL!

I recently built a near silent PC. I went with a compact Powmax mini-ATX case. I got CPU and case fans from www.endpcnoise.com (good stuff). Got a Samsung near silent hard drive and a low noise powersupply from newegg. My PC now is so quite when I burn a CD I can hear the lazer working. This thing is very quite now. My last PC sounded like a jet firing up and was very distracting. Now my PC sits right on the table with the rest of my gear and is no problem.

endpcnoise gave me the info I needed to get my hard drive. The power supply that came with the Powmax case was junk. The new one was worth the $$$. My recording sessions are much more enjoyable now and I can listen and mix at much lower volume levels. I think as a musician getting the PC noise out of your workspace is essential no matter how you do it.

cos

1 - 20 of 20 Posts