Guitars101 - Guitar Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I am new to recording and have a problem that I can't seem to figure out. Before I get started I have a Shure sm57 microphone which plugs into a m-audio mobilepre USB preamp that plugs into my laptop which uses audacity to record. I am using a 40 watt fender mustang 2 guitar amp. When I record it sounds good but the volume is really low, so I turn up the volume in the program it distorts the sound thus making it sound like crap. If I turn the amp up or the gain on the preamp up it gets louder but has the same effect...it gets distorted and sounds like crap. If I keep the volume low and crank the speakers on my computer it gets louder and does not get distorted. I have tried adjusting every setting in audacity, I have adjusted the gain on the preamp as well as the volume on my amp. I have also changed settings with the driver settings for the preamp (which has helped a little but not enough). Does anybody have any idea how I can raise the volume without the audio clipping (distorting)?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.