Guitars101 - Guitar Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well...anything odd you do with your guitar? for example, like Vai, do you stuff your spring cavity with tissue papers? like Van Halen, do you boil your strings? if you have a floyd rose, do you leave your nuts locked, and cut the excess string from the head stock, or unlocked and keep changing your tunings during a song? if you have an acoustic, do you keep a wet spong inside your acoustic guitar to keep it from drying? and i dont mean messed up tunings that you made on your own either. etc etc etc....

so, anything?

me, i tried that tissue paper thing with my spring cavity. at first i hated it coz it too away from my treble, my harmonics were minimal, and pinch harmonics were impossible! but at the same time, my riffs, and my rhythm picked up tremendously. so i'm thinking of putting that in one of my guitars as a rhythm guitar, andthe other, i'll keep as a lead

the other thing is, looking at those fernandez sustainor pickups, i started messing around with magnets. put a magnet right over a pickup that you're using, but make sure its not touching the string, it kinda sounds like you're using an ebo. it works best with those magnets found in speakers/cabnets etc. and also if you use steel strings rather than chrome, nickle or soemthing else.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah. try it sometimes, it makes things more interesting. sure, it cuts down your sustain by a lot, but whatever. gives somthing new

·
Luthier
369 Posts
i rolled up a piece of paper and wedged it real tight beside my dimazrio X2N.... for some reason it makes it sound more tight and snappy. I also put foam rubber under my springs to keep them from vibrating.... thats about it i guess, unless you wanna get into weird things i do to my amps too hahaha

·
Registered
72 Posts
On the guitars that I have with Floyd's... I put the strings on backwards. So the ball end is used as a stop up at the tuning machine. Just makes things a bit easier when you string it up.

:bannana_g

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
WildeStarr said:
On the guitars that I have with Floyd's... I put the strings on backwards. So the ball end is used as a stop up at the tuning machine. Just makes things a bit easier when you string it up.

:bannana_g

humm, if put the ball on on the machine heads, then another good thing that can come out of it is the following:
before you start tightening the string, lock it at the saddle. then start turning your machine heads. this will give you about 7 or 8 inches of slack, so if you ever break a string, you can always lose some slack, and put the string back in. saves you time as well

·
Registered
342 Posts
I've bastardized all my guitars to some degree;
Strat ~ strap locks, replaced stock bridge with graphtech bridge (instant difference), replaced bridge pickup with a Duncan Hotrail, replaced stock tuners with Sperzel locking tuners, replaced stock 5 position switch with Switchcraft 5 position switch, and replace speed knobs with skull nobs, Dragon decal on body, mylar lightning bolt decal on the headsock from old set of DR Music strings box

PRS ~ strap locks, I did the unthinkable; replaced bridge pickup with Duncan Custom Custom, replaced stock locking tuners with Sperzel locking tuners, replaced speed knobs with skull knobs, silver Dragon decal on body, custom truss cover with mother of pearl Dragon

Wolfgang ~ the only thing I did with this (besides strap locks) is replace the speed knobs with Alien skull knobs

Regarding the reverse ball end trick with a floyd;
The drawback to doing this is; strings are thicker at the ball end then they are at the open end. This means that they will tend to brake at the bridge much easier then if strung properly. I used to string my Wolfgang that way because I thought it was easier, after I switched to the "proper" techique I noticed that I almost never break strings anymore. Just an observation, your experiences may differ

·
Registered
69 Posts
I use no load Fender tone pots, push pull dpdt switched pots for series/parallel humbucking or a mini toggle dpdt on-on-on for series/coil cut/parallel, wax pickups, strap locks. I also recently placed some foam between springs and body to stop the guitar's springs from reverbing through my pickups, it does alter the guitars tone but a trade off I'm will to live with in my quest for dead dry crunch. I also put a pony tail ring around the head stock to mute the strings above the nut.

I tend to scallop frets 12fth fret up and if any frets of hardware are sharp edged I smooth them for better feel. I also loosen pick guards and neck truss rod plates so I can slip picks into them.

I prefer Gotoh in line tuners that allow you to put the string in side the tuner thus preventing accidental skin punctures.

I modify my volume pots with 560pf caps and 300k resistor to maintain highs at all volumes.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Rexx said:
I prefer Gotoh in line tuners that allow you to put the string in side the tuner thus preventing accidental skin punctures.
so thats what those things are for...ive been looking for 'hollow button' gotoh machine heads(like the ones used on Peavey's ROTOR, V-TYPE, and VORTEX EX guitars) but i cant seem to find em anywhere. even the gotoh site doesnt support that product for some reason...:S

·
Registered
69 Posts
Here in Toronto I can find them at most major music stores.

I got the idea I needed them when I jammed one time and punctured a singers arm and blood dripped down his arm, since then I put these tuners on my guitars or I take a needle nose pliers and bend the string ends over.

I also found the black hardware is more expensive so I buy chrome and paint it black using baking enamel then bake the hardware for 30 minutes @ 300•F. :devildanc

·
Registered
20 Posts
I undid the tone pot on my Spirit (never use it) turned it up full taped it up and stashed it in the cavity. I then moved the volume pot to where the tone pot used to be. Reason? the volume pot was so close to the bridge/pickup that I was always inadvertantly turning myself down especially when palm muting.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Im a big string boiler. When I first started making custom guitars, I took one of my axes to an Ampfest in Jersey. I had just got it complete that morning and stringed it up. When it made its debut, the sucker kept goin outta tune. Checked everything and there was absolutly know reason for it to do this. Then realized that I never stretched the strings.
Now I boil every set. Never had that problem since.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
boswell: i'm LOVING THAT GUITAR! btw, out of curiosity, i always wondered how heavy those things would be...so how ever is your guy?

Edaholic said:
Im a big string boiler. When I first started making custom guitars, I took one of my axes to an Ampfest in Jersey. I had just got it complete that morning and stringed it up. When it made its debut, the sucker kept goin outta tune. Checked everything and there was absolutly know reason for it to do this. Then realized that I never stretched the strings.
Now I boil every set. Never had that problem since.
humm...the stretching makes sense....but dont your strings start to rust? van halen said that his strings rust up every second day or so, so he pretty much gets a new set every day.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I can see this thread was started quite a long time ago now, but I use sandpaper on my guitar, especially its neck. It improves the ease of playing fast quite a lot, and makes the neck so much more comfortable. That's all I can recall right now, but I KNOW I've done more.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I'm a crazy man, I've got a Process that ALL Guitars go through when I get them....

1) Check that the frets are level, I bought a LOT of cheap guitars over the years, and a lot of them only played bad because the fret leveling was horrid. Now while that does not seem unusual, here's the unusual part - I do it with 800-1000 grit sandpaper, no fretboard protection, and a sharpie, and my sanding block - a 3M from Wal-Mart. I turned my $80 Memphis Strat from playing like a cheap acoustic to playing like an $800.00 Ibanez that way.

2) STRAP LOCKS - Everything in my house has Schaller Strap Locks on it, basses, guitars, acoustics, you name it, if it's got strings and pickups or a soundhole, it's got Strap Locks on it.

3) WAX POTTING - I have a L'Oreal wax bath filled with about half a gallon of Parrafin wax, I just throw the pickups in for about 10-20 minutes and viola, wax potted. If it's got chrome pickup covers, like a Les Paul, or a Jaguar Special HH, I'll tape up the pole piece holes and pot it that way so the wax holds the cover from squealing too. It's amazing what a major good affect on tone this has as well. I had some cheap guitars I did not play much because the pickups in them sounded really crappy....then I thow them in the wax bath - now they sound better because there's not a pile of wire, magnets, and metal parts moving around on their own accord, the pickup now works as ONE unit.

4) Sheild EVERYTHING - I keep a giant roll of Duct Tape Waterproofing tape, or aluminum "muffler tape" to make a giant Faraday cage around my guitar's wiring, it works great, I just shielded my Music Master this way, it doesn't hum at all.

The rest is guitar specific, and I could write a book ojn it, here's just some tidbits

Strats
- add a extra spst switch that allows me to put the neck pickup in the circuit for the 2 othe rpickup combinations
- graphite in nut slot
- take out all but 2 springs in the tremolo, let it float if 2 point

Jaguars
- defeat the Trem Lock button
- string it up with 009-042 gauge Fender Bullets (no wrappings to break)
- bend the collet into an Oval so the bar sticks in the same spot
- replace the MXR style knobs with Witch Hats
- take out any shims in the neck, I can get good sustain and no buzz without one
- 3M tape the gross action posts on the bridge
- angle the bridge saddles to fight against buzz and string slippage
- get the Tremolo bar 1.8-2" above the pickguard for bar dives

Jag-Stang/Mustang/Maverick
- 3M gross action posts
- Rem-Oil or Vaseline in the pivot posts for the tremolo
- Graphite the nut
- string up with Fender Bullet 009-040 or 009-042 gauge strings
- Replace MXR knobs with witch hats
- add Treble bypass to the volume pot
- cut the trace in the tone pot to make it a "No load" tone pot if a humbucker is present
- if Active Pickups, then rewire bridge pickup switch to pickup selector, and hide a EMG Pi2 under the pickguard, wire that to the neck pickup switch, that way it's always on, but can be swapped in at the tip of a hat, and no ugly microswitch as a telltale there's something custom hiding under there.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.