Guitars101 - Guitar Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi !

I currently have a Peavey 4x12 cab, and the inputs are for Mono at 16 ohms and Stereo at 8 ohms. I want to buy a Mosvalve 1160 power amp (Solid State), but I do not know if I can run this with my cab? Will it cause any damage? Should I connect it to the Mono 16 ohms input? I have only had tube power amps before, and have always matched the ohms, but I dont know if I can use this power amp with my current cab. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Michael

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Generally if you hook your solid state amp to a load [speaker{s}] higher than the output rating in ohms of the amp you will get a greatly reduced output. If you hook up speakers with an ohm rating lower than the ohms rating of the amp you can fry the finals if a protection circuit is not built in.

What you need to do is to 1] Find the output rating in ohms of the amp; 2] Find the rating of your individual speakers in the 4-12. You may then be able to create a series/parallel speaker hook up that matches the amp ohms. If the speakers aren't marked then check them with a ohm meter; the impedence will be about 133% MOL of that number; that is, if you read 6.5 ohms you probably have an 8 ohm speaker.

Also, be sure the speakers are rated for at least the max power you will put into them, or you can fry the speakers.

Luck,
Quark

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Samhain88 said:
Hi !

I currently have a Peavey 4x12 cab, and the inputs are for Mono at 16 ohms and Stereo at 8 ohms. I want to buy a Mosvalve 1160 power amp (Solid State), but I do not know if I can run this with my cab? Will it cause any damage? Should I connect it to the Mono 16 ohms input? I have only had tube power amps before, and have always matched the ohms, but I dont know if I can use this power amp with my current cab. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Michael
Hi Michael, I'm new here, I'm an Electronic engineer and I build maintain amps as a hobby. I have over 35 year experience.

SS amps need a load the same or higher than their rating. You power amp is rated at 4ohms or higher. It's stereo and can be bridged to mono.

I'd run it set to mono using only the A input. The power drop, contrary to common belief is almost non-existant. You'd be hard pressed to hear the difference in volume between a 4 ohm cab and a 16 ohm cab.

Good luck.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts