Guitars101 - Guitar Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
26,291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Oingo Boingo
Madame Wong, Santa Monica CA

Oh, what a time to be alive and living in Los Angeles during 1980. There were SO many fresh new bands coming out at the time; it truly was the NEW WAVE.
The unofficial godmother of punk (and otherwise) is Madame Wong who owned two clubs, one in Chinatown, and one in Santa Monica, referred to as Wong's West.
I personally saw many bands at both including Fear, X, Go-Go's, many you wouldn't recognize the names of, and of course, the incredible OINGO BOINGO.
In 2004, I had the pleasure of meeting a Boingo fan who had been part of something called The Secret Society which was basically the Boingo fan club in the very early days.
Well, he laid some pretty rare tapes on me and four of them were recorded at Madame Wong's West in 1980. Two were soundboards and two were audiences, but one of the soundboards
was just crap with the bass completely mixed out. The remaining soundboard (concert date 5-16-80) I used to make my own boot called Madame Wongs West Remastered.
I took the soundboard cassette and loaded it on a digital 24-track studio and then EQ'd and added all sorts of mastering effects to get the best sound quality possible.
There were a couple songs that just didn't sound well rehearsed and I dropped those. It sounds great and over the years I've traded it a few times but I don't think there's a lot of copies of it floating out there.
The two audiences- 4-26-80 is a complete concert and what I would call an A- audience. It has been traded out there and can be found on db tree.
The other concert I have never shared with anyone. It's 4-25-80, same sound quality and is a partial show. As far as I know, this is the first time anyone has ever compiled all three of these
shows in one set and also with my own remaster included, it is a one-of-a-kind. For all fellow Oingo Boingo fans....ENJOY!

"Madame Wongs West Remastered" (5-16-80)

AIN'T THIS THE LIFE
ONLY A LAD
GIMME A BREAK
LAP OF LUXURY
I'M SO BAD
COMMANDO GIRLS
WOKE UP CLIPPED
I'M AFRAID
VIOLENT LOVE
CALIFORNIA GIRLS
FORBIDDEN ZONE
LOUISE

4-26-80

AIN'T THIS THE LIFE
ONLY A LAD
GIMME A BREAK
ON THE OUTSIDE
LAP OF LUXURY
COMMANDO GIRLS
WOKE UP CLIPPED
I'M AFRAID
VIOLENT LOVE
I'M SO BAD
CALIFORNIA GIRLS
FORBIDDEN ZONE
LOUISE
NASTY HABITS

4-25-80
AIN'T THIS THE LIFE
ONLY A LAD
GIMME A BREAK
ANIMALS
ON THE OUTSIDE
LAP OF LUXURY
NASTY HABITS
WOKE UP CLIPPED
I'M AFRAID
VIOLENT LOVE
I'M SO BAD
COMMANDO GIRLS (CUT)

http://www.filefactory.com/file/4spe4enjephj/Oingo Boingo -1980- Madame Wongs.rar
:eek4dance

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.