Guitars101 - Guitar Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone. Havent been able to post much cause im working on my album. just thought i'd post this. I just bought one of these things cause i heard of the great reviews and its only 200. this thing smokes! this damn guitar is awesome! its got great action and great sound! although its a knockoff and its cheap its still sounds damn good to my suprise. I know some of you peeps have one of these besides me. this is the cheapest axe's i have ever owned and its one of my fav's. i think its time for me 2,000 dollar Ibanez to take a seat for awhile.lol sure.....:D

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
I've got an OLP MM1 , I paid $119 for it because it had a small clear coat blem you really couldn't see.
Out of the box the set up was pretty generic but a quick tuning and it was playable.
The stock pickups were good with no noticable or unwanted noise. The neck was straight and clean with no fret defects or other issues.
I researched it some before I bought it to make sure they werent just utter crap like some inexpensive online guitars.
After about an hour of quality setup work and minor tweaks here and there mine was playing up to par.
I have since upgraded to EVH Wolfgang pickups, added a tone control and installed a SWITCHCRAFT switch to take out the slop.I used Schaller tuners I had in the box to prevent any tuning issues,added a string retainer behind the nut, and gave it a paint job. I also added some shielding to the cavities just to prevent problems down the road.
Over all for the $$$ you cant beat the OLP MM1.
Even with my mods I have less than $250 in the guitar and its pretty much my main everyday noodling guitar. Why break out the big boys when the new kid does just fine.
Keith
VGB.
I added a short 15 sec clip of the OLP with the Wolfgang pickups line in from an ancient zoom 1010 processor.
vgb

·
Registered
227 Posts
Since the top strap button on my wolfgang just ripped out, I'm planning on getting an OLP and slapping a floyd on it soon as my beater axe.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Just bought one on eBay.
Got it on ebay cause it's one of the nicer trans gold's I've seen. Usually they're real dark looking, nothing like the axis/evh color. Now I just gotta wait a little while to get the cash for the Floyd!

·
Banned
7,011 Posts
Congrats! Oh yea, very nice. Like the amber quilt, right? That was the first OLP I put a Floyd on. I should have taken more pictures...

·
Registered
34 Posts
How does the neck feel on the OLP is it fat thin or roundlike?
I played a silvertone knockoff it's real similair to the wolfgang
and its $119.99 at sam goodys. I liked the guitars finish it lokked great and played pretty good, but to hear you all talk about the OLP I might check it out instead.

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
In my opinion the OLP is nice and thin . Its not wizard thin but some where between a wolfgang and an MM1. Mine is 1- 5/8" at the nut and graduates to 2 7/32" at the neck pocket and roughly 7/8"ths thickness. at the 7th fret. The rear profile is almost asymetrical but not quite.
I havent played the silvertone, but I can vouch for the OLP, it rocks for the money.

·
Banned
7,011 Posts
Yea, for the money they really are great guitars. I've seen some that have contoured backas and others that don't. I like the neck, but the overall feel of the body is uncomfortable for me, but an Ernie Ball would still be uncomfortable for me

1 - 10 of 10 Posts