Guitars101 - Guitar Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
excess to requirements
7,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few snippets of Jacobs Ladder. It is a little bit rough but I thought you might appreciate it. A word of warning though. I trashed my trem the other day (broken metal and wood!!) so the intonation is way out. So I did a temporary repair using a nail and a disposable lighter
Hopefully I will have a new guitar at the end of the month as the Ibanez is beyond economical repair.

Anyhow, I'll be interested to know your thoughts.

·
Jeff McDonald
3,684 Posts
GoPort, this is so awesome, Man!

I loved it. Great lead in the middle section (and the harmonies). This takes me back to my early college days (very early 90s) where i started really delving back into old RUSH albums from the late 70s and obsessively listening to them. This BT sounds pretty good. The low end sounds really fat. WHat are the chances I could get a copy of this BT??? Again, thanks for posting. I got a real kick out of this and would like to hear any other RUSH covers you have done.

·
excess to requirements
7,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Aye, but the solo has about 20 notes missing cos the makeshift repair on the trem didn't much like it
But somehow I knew this would make you laugh

I tell you what - the midi I have of the backing is bloody good but my attempt at converting it is pretty lame. Maybe you can do me a favour and try a do a better job than me at making it sound a little more like peart is playing drums rather than an accident in a platemetal factory
The midi is attached but if you still want the backing I will post it in a few days - it is a bit big as the track is over 7 minutes long and will wipe out any files I currently have.

Other Rush tunes? Hell I didn't even think BT's existed until I found this site and I have never recorded a cover until I came here. The YYZ one was the first I have ever done.

I tell you what... Suggest a track and once I get my new guitar, I will give it a go. But don't bother with anything after Moving Pictures because I kind of lost interest in the stuff they did after that (even though I carried on buying up to counterparts).

anyhow, cheers for the encouragement .

·
Jeff McDonald
3,684 Posts
I only counted 13 missing notes.
I don’t know why you keep thinking that your recordings would make me laugh. They are fantastic. Rush is not an easy group to emulate and you come pretty darned close.

Regarding the MIDI BT and making the drums better, I am not quite there yet in my knowledge of manipulating MIDIs, but am slowly learning this process. I think that our best bet would be to send it to Khaos, as he has good skills in this area and he is also a devoted Rush fan and would care enough to make it sound good. This version will do just swell for me to practice to until we can spiff up them drums a bit.

I am the same way regarding not really doing any cover tune recordings until stumbling onto this site. This site has totally rejuvenated my interest level in practicing guitar and has given me some solid direction, perhaps a bit too much direction, as I cannot keep up with all the great BTs I want to work on. I will send you my list of Rush BTs when I get home and you can pick which one you want to do and I’ll send to you.

Oh, and another thing, What brand of lighter did you use to temp rig your guitar for this recording? I’m hoping to get one so that I can get that tone.

I am attaching my cover of part of La Villa Strangiato that I did prior to finding this site. I just picked a drum beat from my drum machine that was close enough for me to jam this tune, so just know the drums are not representative of Neal.

Attachments

·
excess to requirements
7,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey cheers Sling

KC, the lighter was a Tokai - honestly. I didn't believe it myself
(http://www.pazyryk.co.uk/Pazyryk_Limited_TOKAI_Cigarette_Lighters_65.html) make sure it is the blue one at the bottom of the page

I really liked your LVS, the tone is good and you nailed the FX too. I am a bit lazy in this area, which is a bit criminal because I bought a bloody great Roland VG-88 just so I could nail the sounds I wanted

If Khaos is up for doing the BT then would be fantastic

·
excess to requirements
7,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Cheers SG
Rush are a bit like that - my friend reckons their music has "pronounced corners" to make them unmistakably Rush - He may have a point.

·
excess to requirements
7,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks Wiz, really appreciate it

1 - 10 of 10 Posts