Guitars101 - Guitar Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
More so of wanting a tip, but, could anyone give me a few pointers on 1 note strumming?? Not sure if thats the right term, but like in "Cold Shot" How Stevie like moves his arm all over the place and only comes up with one note, its pretty cool and sounds good.. But anyways, I just wanted to know if anyone could make it easier (kind of a hard thing to pick up in my POV). All I can do right now is down stroke on that one know with everything above it muted, but thats not really as free as he had it going ;)

·
Registered
7,615 Posts
Hi dude, I can't really grasp what technique it is that you want to reproduce.

However, it sounds like you are describing tremolo picking (if we take it at it's fastest) or alternate picking (at it's most basic core).

Sorry, I am unfamiliar with the track you quote as an example, and can't get hold of it whilst at work.

But, if we are referring to alternate picking, I'm not the best at this myself, in fact, I am shite at tremolo picking.

But, alternate picking is the art of up and down strokes on one string, one after the other. The best way to learn this is to try on an open string. Just pluck the string with a down stroke, and then pluck the string again with an up stroke. Ten go back down again, then up.

Don't worry about speed, just feel comfortable with the movement of your right hand first. Once you get the feel of it, then try to do the up and down picking to a steady slow beat. Once this feels comfortable, then try a little faster. Again, all on an open string.

I don't know what you meant by POV, so not sure why it is difficult for you. Apologies if I'm being stupid here !

Then, moving onto tremolo picking, It's just doing this alternate picking incredibly fast, to produce a trill. I still cannot do it, but then I have never tried to develop it at all, cuz I am a lazy shite !

I'm sure there are others that can help you out better. I am just assuming that this technique is what you are asking about. However, there'll be loadsa people on here who are familiar with the track and will be able to actually do it, so can give you some very good advice.

Good luck !

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ok hehe sorry for troubles... POV= point of view (kinda made it up on spot lol)

Cold Shot- SRV song

In the song he mutes all the strings except for one note and strums and does this while he switches noted... He does this in another song but I thought this was best example..
hope that helped some

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Guitaristic- Yup thats exactly what I mean
I just can't figure out how to get it to sound good..... Guess I need practice :p

Ulnarian- nope lol

G

·
just up and down strokes, while muting the strings with the fingers..
some advice: use a thin pick for this...its softer so it will make it easier.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts