Guitars101 - Guitar Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
id like to know what fellow guitarists have found over the years
as to electric guitar strings.what have you found to be most reliable break the least ring true the longest sustain good etc etc i like ghs boomers.

·
I am a meat popsicle
4,743 Posts
I like string feel over all else. What I use is D'addario .009's exclusively. Great feel and really smooth tone to my ears.

·
Registered
5,264 Posts
For me I have found that Ernie Ball .009's work best so far, I am planning on trying the 10's and see if I like them, but I am defiently an Ernie Ball fan myself!
Plus the fact that I get them for about $4 at GC don't hurt either lol

·
Banned
7,011 Posts
I have a set of handwound 10's (DMs? Help me out here VHFan...) on my LP for about one year now, and I still record just about everything with that guitar and those strings.

I use Ernie Ball 9's on my strats though

·
Scandinavian noise maker!
2,767 Posts
Well have been through alot of different strings, used to play EB 10-46 and 9-42.
Now I use 250's from Fender.

·
Banned
7,011 Posts
DR's. That's it. Thanks VB. Some of the best strings I ever used. Almost a year and still going!

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
El_jalepeno said:
DR's. That's it. Thanks VB. Some of the best strings I ever used. Almost a year and still going!

[/ QUOTE ]
No Probs EJ. your always there for me with an answer or 2. We sell alot of the DR's EB's and D'addario's too.
Everyone has their preference.
VGB

·
Registered
479 Posts
dean markley .009.....havent used anything else for the last 9 yrs.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
wow theres a variety there.i remeber years ago using fender bullet strings.i remeber the e string cut into my finger doing a slide once. and then replacing said string only for it to snap when tuning it up and it almost slicing into me, bad day maybe. anyone ever had any freak accidents like that with guitars or strings or both ouch topic

·
Registered
128 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
El_jalepeno said:

[/ QUOTE ]

EJ, you have had the same set on there for a year?!?!? I thought strings would lose tone by then. Do you play that guitar all the time or sporadically? Also question for everyone....how often do you break strings? I am trying to determine if my string breakage is a problem witha saddle or just aggressive playing on my part. It is my Wolfie that is the suspect in this mystery.

·
Registered
631 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
Troyboy said:
[ QUOTE ]
El_jalepeno said:

[/ QUOTE ]

EJ, you have had the same set on there for a year?!?!? I thought strings would lose tone by then. Do you play that guitar all the time or sporadically? Also question for everyone....how often do you break strings? I am trying to determine if my string breakage is a problem witha saddle or just aggressive playing on my part. It is my Wolfie that is the suspect in this mystery.

[/ QUOTE ]
I use to have a problem with strings breaking at the bridge but it was due to me resting my hand there and the sweat and acidity caused the string to break, not the saddle which I thought it was for a while. I use EB super slinkys .009, they last forever.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I bought a bunch of bulk strings recently from Stringthis.com. I had so many unmacthed sets from replacing individual strings, that I needed to get some bulk just to use up what I had! They seem OK. I have only been using them a couple months though. I have bounced around on strings forever! I have used EB, D'Adarrio, 5150, Fender, Dean Markley, even tried some of the Elixirs. They all seem about the same to me. I usually come back to D'Adarrio's for 2 reasons. Many of my idols play them and Guitar Center usually has some kind of deal on them!!

I have never tried DR. I have heard good things though.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts