Guitars101 - Guitar Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any opinions on overpriced guitars?

Gibson, Parker, PRS are my picks.

Gibson anything is such terrible quality sometimes. Parker have good quality and innovation, but I guess only want celebrates buying their product, same with PRS.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Gibson I would definitely agree. Their prices go up and quality goes down. Their signature models are outrageously priced. PRS is up there too. And maybe that EVH Frankenstein that was going for like $25K. Fender's prices are starting to creep up as well.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Fender pissed a lot of people off when they raised their prices; now they're down a little, but still. It's suppose to be the "working man's instrument."

Parker... I would love to have one, but they're higher than a lot of big name guitars, which makes no sense to me. Maybe once they get more endorsers, but not twenty years into the game.

·
Registered
43 Posts
^^ Well Parker's have a niche market. They are geared towards players looking specifically for a thin, lightweight high quality American Made guitar with a composite fingerboard instead of maple or rosewood and a versatile pickup set including a piezo pickup for more of an acoustic sound. Most of these features and characteristics are not available from Fender or Gibson. Ibanez may offer some good alternatives but they are not made in the U.S. Also Parker doesn't produce nearly as many guitars as Gibson or Fender (because the demand for them isn't there), which drives up the cost to build each guitar (a BIG reason they are more expensive). They are amazing guitars tho. Best bet may be to find a good used one.

And there are many small guitar companies out there charging more than the average Fender or Gibson so the fact that Parkers are more expensive shouldn't surprise you. The more guitars a company manufactures, the lower the cost to make each guitar. And with their constant dealings with the big chain stores, Gibson & Fender can unload the bulk they manufacture.

IMO Ibanez is just about the best bang for the buck. Although my main guitar (I have many) is my '92 Fender Floyd Rose Classic Series Strat, I have a newer Prestige RG 1570, which I got for $700 brand new. It came with a really nice hardshell case, the Ibanez Edge Pro Trem (Floyd Rose style), H-S-H pickup configuration with Ibanez V-series pickups which are pretty decent, and it's made in Japan.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I would like the think Parker would have more customers if they made some more affordable products, but without messing with quality. Keep the Stainless steel frets, put in cheaper pickups, etc. The budget models kinda suck without all the things that make Parker good.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Well, unfortunately that's probably not going to happen. The first step in making them cheaper would be to mass-produce them overseas in Korea or China. The next step would be to use cheaper parts all around, which is basically what their import series is. The playability, parts, and overall quality of a budget guitar made in China is NEVER as good as it's U.S. (or even Japanese) counterpart.

So you have 3 choices:

1. Suck it up and buy the U.S. made guitar brand new at it's hefty price. Shop around for the lowest price.

2. Find a good used U.S. made guitar. You will probably have to search far and wide for the model/color you want, since there are not nearly as many of these being sold/traded in at your local music stores as there are Fender, Gibson, etc. Some suggestions would be to look on ebay, or call Guitar Center and Sam Ash and have them search their nationwide database. If one of their stores (that may be far away from you) has one, they'll get it for you.

3. Buy the "budget" imported guitar and gradually replace the parts you don't like. Uprade to better pickups, maybe some graphite bridge saddles and a graphite nut, etc.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, unfortunately that's probably not going to happen. The first step in making them cheaper would be to mass-produce them overseas in Korea or China. The next step would be to use cheaper parts all around, which is basically what their import series is. The playability, parts, and overall quality of a budget guitar made in China is NEVER as good as it's U.S. (or even Japanese) counterpart.

So you have 3 choices:

1. Suck it up and buy the U.S. made guitar brand new at it's hefty price. Shop around for the lowest price.

2. Find a good used U.S. made guitar. You will probably have to search far and wide for the model/color you want, since there are not nearly as many of these being sold/traded in at your local music stores as there are Fender, Gibson, etc. Some suggestions would be to look on ebay, or call Guitar Center and Sam Ash and have them search their nationwide database. If one of their stores (that may be far away from you) has one, they'll get it for you.

3. Buy the "budget" imported guitar and gradually replace the parts you don't like. Uprade to better pickups, maybe some graphite bridge saddles and a graphite nut, etc.
If someone were going to do that, they might as well buy an Epi or cheaper Gibson.

I mean, I could just put Stainless steel frets in my '76 LP, which means Parker would lose a sell, because I'm not the only one with that mentality: They're already losing many potential buyers.

Like I said: They don't care as long as they have the celebrate backing. I may want an Adrian Belew model, but I won't pay 10,000.

·
Registered
43 Posts
If someone were going to do that, they might as well buy an Epi or cheaper Gibson.

I mean, I could just put Stainless steel frets in my '76 LP, which means Parker would lose a sell, because I'm not the only one with that mentality: They're already losing many potential buyers.

Like I said: They don't care as long as they have the celebrate backing. I may want an Adrian Belew model, but I won't pay 10,000.
Sure, when you start considering other brands there are lots of ways you could go. Why not buy a Fender, or Ibanez, or Fernandez, or Schecter, etc. etc. ?? And of course putting stainless steel frets on your LP is NOT going to make it sound like a Parker.

And yes, obviously they don't care. They're not trying to sell one to everybody. If you want a Parker your 3 choices are in my last post. Musician's friend has 2 USED U.S. made guitars, one NiteFly for $1,200 and one Fly Mojo SC for $2,000 for sale right now.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/navigation/parker-electric-guitar-basses?N=100001+201361

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sure, when you start considering other brands there are lots of ways you could go. Why not buy a Fender, or Ibanez, or Fernandez, or Schecter, etc. etc. ?? And of course putting stainless steel frets on your LP is NOT going to make it sound like a Parker.

And yes, obviously they don't care. They're not trying to sell one to everybody. If you want a Parker your 3 choices are in my last post. Musician's friend has 2 USED U.S. made guitars, one NiteFly for $1,200 and one Fly Mojo SC for $2,000 for sale right now.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/navigation/parker-electric-guitar-basses?N=100001+201361
So you're the master of all knowledge, and my only options lie with what you say?

...And yes, I can make my LP sound like a Parker: Same wood (All maple), Custom Pickups (Made by Bill Lawrence himself, so better than stock Parker Dimarzios), and a split coil option.

·
Registered
43 Posts
So you're the master of all knowledge, and my only options lie with what you say?

...And yes, I can make my LP sound like a Parker: Same wood (All maple), Custom Pickups (Made by Bill Lawrence himself, so better than stock Parker Dimarzios), and a split coil option.
:whythis: :banghead:

Wow. Good for you. Sorry for trying to help. Why don't you just try it then and turn your Les Paul into a Parker??? I don't know why you would want to mess with a '76 LP and turn it into something else. Good luck ripping the frets out and replacing them. And don't forget the piezo. And yes, if you actually want a real Parker those are your only options. :tard:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
:whythis: :banghead:

Wow. Good for you. Sorry for trying to help. Why don't you just try it then and turn your Les Paul into a Parker??? I don't know why you would want to mess with a '76 LP and turn it into something else. Good luck ripping the frets out and replacing them. And don't forget the piezo. And yes, if you actually want a real Parker those are your only options. :tard:
I never said I was going to, bocefus. I was making an example: For what you get with a Parker, at the price, you can get cheaper with another guitar.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.