Guitars101 - Guitar Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, This is my very first attempt at recording a VH song. I've never really played much VH because he's just too damn badass...

Does this clip sound good, bad, what do I need to add or change about the tone?? Does Eddie "upstroke" the chords or "downstroke" them?? I did both.

PodGod sent me an EVH tone for GuitarPort (Thanks POD!)....and I'm going to give this song a try but will need someone else to play the solo...I'd probably just F*ck it up. :lol: Is my playing on this decent or horrible?? :scratch:

It's not a great mix...just rough for now..I'll level out later.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
hey there..it sounds awesome to me...check this guy's videos..he shows you how to play van halen tunes...and it's FREE...!!!... :icon_peac

http://www.jfrocks2.com/

·
Registered
70 Posts
:thumb: Sounds good man!

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
The important thing here is how aggressively you attacked with the pick (and the slight muting too). You really sunk your teeth into this thing! Great job!

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys for the encouragement :icon_thum ..I know I need to practice it alot since I just learned it last night and I've never played Panama before. My slides need practice as well as the harmonic parts. I think I was off with the track a bit but I'll get better.

So does the tone sound good? I'm always blown away with the VH covers some of you guys post that are very EVH like in style and tone. His style is totally different than mine so it's a major challenge for me or probably anyone to cover the master.

Well, I'm off to practice and will hopefully post the full improved version later this week. I welcome any tips, criticism, etc.

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Rythameen said:
I think the recording itself sounds a little muddy, but what I can hear of your tone sounds good.
Any tips? It's just GPort into GuitarTracks pro. I'm forever trying to figure out how to get a cleaner recording. I get alot of hum and with the noise gate on, my sustain and volume gets whacked! I'll take any kind of advice.

Thanks.

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
The playing sounds great Riff! You can clean up alot of the muddiness with an EQ plugin. GuitarPort has an EQ but I hate it. I find it hard to use.

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
POD GOD said:
The playing sounds great Riff! You can clean up alot of the muddiness with an EQ plugin. GuitarPort has an EQ but I hate it. I find it hard to use.
I no longer have a subscription to Line 6 website to download anything...how can I get that plugin?

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
jimihendrix said:
hey there..it sounds awesome to me...check this guy's videos..he shows you how to play van halen tunes...and it's FREE...!!!... :icon_peac

http://www.jfrocks2.com/
Thanks for the heads up on the website...I'm downloading the wmv lesson for Panama right now. The tabs are very cool so looks like I'll be busy for a while getting the rest of this song down. After I record this one, I'm going back to familiar territory for a while and bust out a couple more Priest covers then I'll try my hand at some more VH. :rock:

·
Ear Candy Distributor
10,268 Posts
Riff Addict said:
Any tips? It's just GPort into GuitarTracks pro. I'm forever trying to figure out how to get a cleaner recording. I get alot of hum and with the noise gate on, my sustain and volume gets whacked! I'll take any kind of advice.

Thanks.
I have a good tone called 1984 that should work with guitar port. Give me an e-mail addy and I'll send it on if ya like :thumb:

·
Valhalla is coming !!!!!
2,388 Posts
Sounds close to me , something i couldnt do , like you said Van is a bloody hard player to emulate hes beyond me but you have the tone and feel for sure !

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
nice tone and attack.. but it seems maybe ur B string might be a little flat or intonation a tad off..but no big deal.. sounds good

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
andrewtheshreddr said:
nice tone and attack.. but it seems maybe ur B string might be a little flat or intonation a tad off..but no big deal.. sounds good
Actually, the intonation is dead on..I just played it sloppy :lol: and the strings need changing.:notme: I'm gonna work on tightening it up and try to cleanup the tone. My pickups aren't the greatest either....thanks for the input.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts