Guitars101 - Guitar Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, since owning my Classic 30 it has come to my attention the amp simply isn't the best for playing metal or any VH stuff for that matter. :thumbsdow I can neither get sustain nor distortion opposed to what I'm hearing from other people. Am alone on this thought :dunno: ?

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
The classic 30 wasnt designed for what you have in mind.
It is easily overdriven and more than clean enough to run a good processor though to get good tone. For practice and mic'ing small gigs.
VB

·
Registered
164 Posts
vintage_brat said:
The classic 30 wasnt designed for what you have in mind.
It is easily overdriven and more than clean enough to run a good processor though to get good tone. For practice and mic'ing small gigs.
VB
Should one get a nice distortion pedal then? :dunno:

·
Registered
500 Posts
NO!!!! Sell that f*cker and get a 5150 or a XXX. They are the amps that have what you seek.(5150-:p)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hehe right on. I want one yet as is for most things, money is the problem. :wutblau: But even so, I do have a blues driver that works with the amp to "distort" it more, yet it's not heavy as it should be. Any suggestions for settings or other things worth knowing? :confused: Thanks

·
Crazy Admin
4,016 Posts
I'm afraid theres not really much you can do , it's just not designed for that kinda thing .. i played through one for a while in jazz and blues gigs and it was one of the best amps i've played through .. it was sensational !

just count your pennys and grab a 5150 combo they kick serious ass !

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
How good is the 5150 combo? Is the head and the cabinet better in comparison or is it just a matter of personal taste?

·
Scandinavian noise maker!
2,767 Posts
The combo is great!!!
I actually like it over the head versions!
Stuck in a pair of Celestion g12-h's..and you got alot of grounds covered.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I think Shimmy should get a pedal. I have used different pedals, but my favorite is the Boss OS-2. Under rated in my opinion. 65 bucks. It's an overdrive, distortion pedal with a knob that blends the 2 sounds if you want. My basic setup was getting the clean sound on the amp and dialing in the pedal for the overdrive/distortion sound. It may not be the best metal sound- but is versatle.

·
Registered
120 Posts
keep in mind that there are no tube amps at price range of classic 30, that will
give you a real metal tone.
if you want metal, get digitech metal master and you're set.

classic 30 is great for what it's built for.

Imo, the clean channel is the MOST important feature in a Amp.
for the gain, you always can get a stomp box.

G

·
i too have a classic 30 and i love it... my only problem is its not working right now.... i just replaced the tubes on it b/c i thought that was the problem... well it was part of it... but i still get no sound or anything from it.... any one of you guys out there have any idea what might be broken on it?

·
Registered
442 Posts
i use a digitech grunge petal on my fender deluxe which is simalar to the peavey classic and it sounds metal to me.
darknessz32 fuse maybe?try the simple stuff first take the back off and look for loose connections

·
Registered
76 Posts
I agree with you

keep in mind that there are no tube amps at price range of classic 30, that will
give you a real metal tone.
if you want metal, get digitech metal master and you're set.

classic 30 is great for what it's built for.

Imo, the clean channel is the MOST important feature in a Amp.
for the gain, you always can get a stomp box.
I agree with you

1 - 14 of 14 Posts