Guitars101 - Guitar Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there ,,, Looking for a new amp ( I am currently using 5150 head) and was wondering what other players thoughts were on the Peavey jsx head!!

·
Registered
500 Posts
Do You want to sell your 5150? If yes=I WANT IT!!! 5150>anything else :devilchil :jam:

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
metalnick said:
Do You want to sell your 5150? If yes=I WANT IT!!! 5150>anything else :devilchil :jam:
You can get one brand new at MF for only $750....it's not on the website, you have to call.

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
10 minutes????? 3 hours???? a day??? you cant judge an amp in 15 minutes.
I dont care what you say. theres in no way to cover every nuance of an amp in a short amount of time. Its in a store. in a very large area usually that wasnt designed to give optimum sound. How was it biased? was it set hot or cold? Did you try it though different speaker cabs? or was it just i turned it on spun a knob or two and decided it sucked? Unless you have owned it. played it and really took it for what it is. you cant hardly pass judgement on it. Thats how things get a bad Rep. People spouting off about things they gave a 5 minute test drive and decided because it didnt meet some expectation that it must obviously suck.
Yeah. just a little rant. thanks

·
Registered
192 Posts
vintage_brat said:
I dont care what you say. theres in no way to cover every nuance of an amp in a short amount of time. Its in a store. in a very large area usually that wasnt designed to give optimum sound. How was it biased? was it set hot or cold? Did you try it though different speaker cabs? or was it just i turned it on spun a knob or two and decided it sucked? Unless you have owned it. played it and really took it for what it is. you cant hardly pass judgement on it. Thats how things get a bad Rep. People spouting off about things they gave a 5 minute test drive and decided because it didnt meet some expectation that it must obviously suck.
In 20 years of playing I have refined my ear to know what speaks to me and what doesn't. I have 8 heads sitting in my basement that all said yes instantly when I plugged into them. There is a response with a note that makes an amp speak to me, I can hear beyond bad tubes, speakers, pickups and can still get the feel of what an amp can do and what can be improved upon it. Believe me I have plugged into many amps in many crowded stores, you're not the only one. You're telling me I can't pass judgement with my ears? That I have to own it to figure out what it can do? Sorry, you are 100 percent wrong . I will take my ear over anyone elses when it comes to MY tone. It is a pretty simple formula for me and one that has worked beautifully over the years.

Someone wanted an opinion about that amp and I posted. Now instead of worrying about what I wrote and why you have a problem with it why not write about the amp instead. That seems to be the question at hand.

I will also add that over the years I have owned a Butcher, Peavey Ultra, 5150 combo and a VTM. I know these amps extremely well and also know the reasons I don't own them anymore. There is an organic quality missing from these amps.

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
This can go on and on forever. I have 30 years in the field and run a vintage guitar store. Everyone has a tone they like and thats all fair. But if your going to give someone a review based on your experience. Give them a review. if it lacked something tell them what it was. Nasal tone and didnt do what you expected isnt much of a review. Where the highs too much. the lows too muddy, the mids off? Thats what im saying. Was the gain section too much not enough? This guy wanted to know something about it. And not one has mentioned for him to give it a try and see what he thinks. One persons junk is anothers treasure. I dont think he was asking about YOUR tone. He was asking an honest question about an amp.
Id like to see an honest review about it myself. Yeah I know what nasal tone is. And i know the potential of most amps but alot don't. Theres tons of inexperienced players here and you cant always take for granted that they know everything you do.

·
Premium Member
4,955 Posts
-ive owned the jsx for about 6 weeks now and im totally in love with this amp (using a Peavey XXL cab)......from the crisp clean channel to the ultra, the variety of tones that come out of this amp is remarkable..i find it more expressive than other amps...and 120 watts aint no joke..i will guarantee than any style guitarist could make use of this amp...not just shredders. They are releasing the jsx cabinet this spring/summer that suppose to be groundbreaking cab technology...also a jsx combo, that should look and sound great.....Peavey should pay me for this but its all truth!:icon_thum....theres an in depth review in this months guitar world (Dimebag tribute issue)

·
Premium Member
4,955 Posts
vintage_brat said:
great point....this amp does take some time to warm up...i would give it at least 5 min......there are a few more adjustments on this amp than most and the eq's rage is far supirior than most so you really need to learn how to dial in the tone you want....its not rocket science but a quick plug in in a crowded with amp music store doesnt give the room for this baby to breathe...if it was nassally sounding then you need to learn how to set an amp....aint no nasal coming out of mine...check out "House of Bullets" recording at my website below

·
Registered
192 Posts
Point well taken, next time just ask for more instead of assaulting me chat room style..

House of Bullets is the perfect example of what I am talking about. There is a metallic nasal edge to the notes which is the same as my old Ultra ,5150 and VTM. Something in those amps is getting in the way of natural tonality coming through. The JS is the Ultra with a new name. Versatile, plenty of options, decent but far from specatacular tones. It is not an amp I would use for more than live stuff because the note coloration is simply too high. Of the current PV stuff the Delta Blues is the only one I hear some sing from. These high gain heads are missing the dynamic organic quality that other makers separate themselves with. I am not talking boutique either, a Marshall DSL is a much more natural sounding amp. The new Laney GH line are a couple examples of amps that have better more natural tone. Not all the bells and whistles, but tone. My 85 Laney Pro Tube was 200.00 and I would not trade it for the JSX. I expected this amp to eliminate that odd note tonality of recent PV and it didn't, it feels like more of the same. That clip captures the same thing I heard in the store. It affirms exactly what my impressions of that amp were..

·
Premium Member
4,955 Posts
well kevlar...didnt mean to jump on a bandwagon but obviously your experience in amps far exeeds most guitarists but i must say...that if that track sounds nasally...i like the schnozola sound and unless my ear (or nose) is tricking me Joe Satriani likes it too

·
Scandinavian noise maker!
2,767 Posts
:thumb:Well I know what Kev talks about...but that is a thing that most modern amps has, well most of the multi-channel ones I have tried had that funny midrangy thing.

·
Premium Member
4,955 Posts
i kinda know what you guys are talking about....but like i commented before...the amp has a very good eq on all channels but this may be the reason...it takes tweaking......i good equalizer would make it easier......and joe uses the "burn unit" equalizer.... but he designed the amp and i love it no matter if it sounds like a nose or an ass..lol

CON: my mid knob are set at 4 or less.... too strong midrage eq

·
Registered
192 Posts
axeshredder said:
well kevlar...didnt mean to jump on a bandwagon but obviously your experience in amps far exeeds most guitarists but i must say...that if that track sounds nasally...i like the schnozola sound and unless my ear (or nose) is tricking me Joe Satriani likes it too
I am not slaming anyone that oownes the amp, I am simply saying what I don't like about it. Your playing is great BTW. It is cool if you dig it but after having owned a good portion of the PV stuff over the years my ears have led me to places I like better. Tastes are limitless and I am only offering one opinion.

·
Scandinavian noise maker!
2,767 Posts
Just to make sure of it...
No slamming either from here...taste is luckywise very broad:icon_cool

1 - 20 of 26 Posts