Guitars101 - Guitar Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone!

I'm thinking of buying a Peavey Vandenberg guitar, anyone own one or anyone owned one in the past? Opinions, comments? I've read the reviews on Harmony Central, and they seem pretty positive. Any comments would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

·
Ear Candy Distributor
10,268 Posts
I read a review a few years ago and the basic take was that the US model was very expensive but good and the Japanese/Korean model wasn't up to much. The only fear would be you end up with either:
a. a collectors guitar (like the Paul Stanley Iceman's)
b. an expensive dud because AV hasn't been around lately

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
158 Posts
BF - Do you mean the new V-Type or the old (circa late 80s) Vandenberg? I've owned a few of the older Vandenberg models (there were no imports in those days) and they're excellent guitars for the money. You should be able to score one on the 'bay for $300 or so.

·
Registered
3,392 Posts
Here's one of the old 80's Vandenberg's guitars. It's listed at 300 right now on ebay with only one bid.

Vandenberg guitar

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yep, the one I was looking at was an early 90's model, bolt on neck. I finally won it on eBay, and it should arrive soon, so hopefully I'm not dissapointed. Are the necks similar to an Ibanez RG550? (My favorite neck) Hopefully it's good quality...

·
Registered
158 Posts
I've never played an RG550 but if you like your necks thin, fast and short-scale you'll lover the Vandy. The stock pups are mid-output so they may or may not have enough gain for you depending on what you're playing.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yep, I love flat, thin necks and short scale is a plus. It should arrive soon, can't wait to try it out! It had an EMG 85 installed in the bridge and an EMG SA in the neck, so it should go well with my setup, although I may eventually swap them out for some Dimarzios.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Vandy

I talked to Paul at Noteworks Music shop here in Phoenix and he said the USA made Vandy's were excellent guitars, some of his favorites ever produced. And he's evidently sold a ton of guitars! Also that they retailed over $1,000 new.

I just bought a Charvel Fusion, which is also a Super Strat, locking tremolo, short-scale guitar. I WILL own a Vandy one day, though!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts