Guitars101 - Guitar Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,new here and have been going through loads of threads to get info on amps,I have a few bucks to spend (4-500) on a new or used tube amp and will be my first,I have been playing through solid state amps and was wanting to jump over where everybody says to go.I have recently played through a crate blue voodoo bv 120,really wasn't that impressed with the dirty side without an overdrive pedal,the clean was sparky and cool.I was looking on line and came across the peavey windsor for a great price compared to what I find on craigslist or used music stores,because I can't spend a whole lot on this just like the rest of you with this economy.I usually play metal style but also like clean bluesy style as well,just a guy who plays at home for the most part and a get together here and there with a buddys band. all in all here is my thoughts,if I buy a used tube amp,what are the chances of dumping a bunch of money on tubes and replacement parts,OR buy this peavey new and work with it to get the tones I am looking for? Any response is welcomed,thanks for reading my long winded question!

·
Registered
62 Posts
I'll respond since no one else is. I haven't owned a Peavey Windsor but I can tell you that Peavey makes great amps that have great TONE! I've owned a Peavey 5150 and now own a Vypyr.. My current live rig is an EVH 5150 III head.. Anyway, I would suggest checking out youtube to hear the different tones the Windsor can make and play through one a few time before you buy it.. To answer your question about tubes. They can last a longtime depending on how often you play. I've had tubes last 3-5 years before hearing the tone change or degrade.. Just depends how hard you push them and how often. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks,never thought of the you tube thing,I appreciate the reply. I did go and play through a peavey valveking and was way impressed with that,although it was the low line, no switchable reverb by foot control,but it sounds amazing compared to my solid state dealio.:biggrin:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts