·
Registered
886 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is mine.

·
Captain DB... Savvy ?
3,523 Posts
damnit Phil .... good luck verga you DEFINATELY need it man :lol: two killer players = intense and likely very close to call battle .

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
That was awesome PHIL28uk. That was fucking perfect! But im not dead yet:chucks: Good luck!

·
Registered
410 Posts
Both versions are just simply amazing! It's hard to touch this one but I got to listen to both versions again and compare it to the original. I guess that will be my basis to decide who I will vote for. Goodluck to both of you!

·
Registered
886 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I didn't realise that you were going to do the lead-in to the solo too but nevermind. A cracking version, you can tell you love john petrucci. Good luck although you shouldn't need it.

·
Registered
209 Posts
OMG it seemed like both were played by the same person...i am truly speechless....this is stiff competition

·
Registered
127 Posts
Holy sh1t!!!!

This is by far the BEST BATTLE EVER!!! Both of you were fucking monsters playing guitar!!! A Tie would be the most fair decision here. I have to be strictly anal if im going to vote:

Phil28UK: You screwed one or two notes at the begining of the scale at 1:00 but its almost imperceptible :D .

Verga:I hear a little scratch before the solo at the 00:41 second before the solo, but everything else was flawless. Also your tone......oh man! It was incredible!!!! :bannana_g

Both of you are incredible guitarists, both kick my ass, the best musicians :bannana_g around..... but my vote goes to VERGA because he nailed that solo 100% perfect and Phil28UK99.99%

Thanks for this battle guys.

·
excess to requirements
7,118 Posts
I agree with Gros, but I went for phil - some of the more intricate riffs phil had the tone and the phrasing. Also phil seemed really comfortable with the tune and Verga sounded a little less so imo. but as Gros says you are two of the best. and as cliched as it sounds it really doesn't matter who wins this.

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
WWHOOOOOOAA !!! ASWELL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I dont know now !! Both are equally awesome.. Im gonna sleep on it !!!

verga said:
That was awesome PHIL28uk. That was fucking perfect! But im not dead yet:chucks: Good luck!

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Goport said:
...and as cliched as it sounds it really doesn't matter who wins this.
I have to agree Goport.

Phil28UK, you fucking rule! If i win or of i dont its pointless. Im proud to play against you :thumb: How about a bunch of DT battles in a near future you monster? Any other Dream Theater lover around?

GROS: Thanks for those words buddy. You made my day :p

Everybody else, people of guitars101 thanks for listening.

·
Captain DB... Savvy ?
3,523 Posts
this is VERY close for sure . but i agree with goport ... phil had ever so slightly better nuances in his playing etc . and i think verga has had a long enough winning streak :lol; 9 battles won and hes still not had enough . my vote goes to phil .

·
Registered
127 Posts
dannyboy said:
i think verga has had a long enough winning streak :lol; 9 battles won and hes still not had enough . my vote goes to phil .
Im sorry but that was a poor excuse to vote for Phil. Thoses guys deserves a better judge than that dannyboy.

goport said:
...phil seemed really comfortable with the tune and Verga sounded a little less so imo
Do you really think any of those guys got uncomfortable at that level? :scratch: Listen carefully. No ofenses to Phil (or anybody), he is an incredible player, but its just a matter of opinions. For me Verga was much more acurate than Phil in every way. Both were superb recordings IMHO

·
Captain DB... Savvy ?
3,523 Posts
GROS read my post again and perhaps you will notice my actual reason for voting for phil instead of my jokey reason . recognize this sentence in my post ? "phil had ever so slightly better nuances in his playing etc" ... you judging both mine and goports judgement ... how about you ignore that and just vote for your favourite . we have been here long enough to know how to behave so don't jump down our throats and get all angry cause we didn't vote for who you voted for .

·
Registered
473 Posts
Man! Both of you guys have some scary technique going on.

I voted for Phil because he had the feel(no pun intended) and and played it with more conviction, IMHO.

Both were amazing and inspiring though :icon_thum

·
Registered
886 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Wow, thanks people. I realise that I have a few mistakes in there but it took a few takes to record it after I spent an hour of learning it. I could have fixed the mistakes but I'd spent enough time on it and to be honest started getting a bit tired of playing it. Verga's version is a lot cleaner than mine and he nails the fast picking run at the end but cheers for the guys who voted. It's my 1st battle, maybe I should have picked an easier one. :scratch:

·
excess to requirements
7,118 Posts
GROS said:
Do you really think any of those guys got uncomfortable at that level? :scratch: Listen carefully. No ofenses to Phil (or anybody), he is an incredible player, but its just a matter of opinions. For me Verga was much more acurate than Phil in every way. Both were superb recordings IMHO
I did listen carefully and I cast my vote accordingly. As you say, it is all a matter of opinion. The only thing that I can criticise about Phil's playing on this is the tone he uses - it gets a little muddy down at the bass notes/bottom end. Vergas tone was more rounded to my ears. But for example 0:38 on Phil's version - he absolutely nailed that sliding phrase and Verga was slightly off. This and a few other bits swung it for me. It is the first time I have ever voted against verga in a battle - he is an absolutely stunning guitar player and I never thought I would be able to vote against him. But then so is Phil.

For the record, I thought there was a lot of humour in Dannyboys post but he, like you and I, voted for the one he thought was best. He was not tactically voting :)

Opinions eh? How does the phrase go? "Opinions are like Arseholes, everybody has one" - and they are all different. I stand by what I said at the beginning It really doesn't matter who wins this one, this goes above competition - it is exhibition of brilliance :thumb:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts