Guitars101 - Guitar Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this isn't the most important aspect of playing guitar but... well mabye it is an important thing anyway. Ever since i started playing i allways played using my thumb and second finger, it never really bothered me but recently a friend said " whats the deal with that why do u hold pick like that ?" and i've only just noticed that EVERYONE else holds the pick between thumb and first finger !

Ok so heres the question am i putting myself at a disadvantage holding the pick like this do u think ?

·
Registered
172 Posts
No disadvantages that I've ever heard of.
In fact Eddie Van Halen uses that same technique- he can then utilise
his index finger for the tapping stuff.

·
Da Blooze Guy
5,854 Posts
I used to use my thumb and first 2 fingers, switched to thumb and index, which I like better. I think the only to use your thumb and index instead of your 2nd finger is if you want to do a lot of hybrid picking, otherwise, it's whatever feels best to you and works with your technique. :bannana_g

·
Registered
331 Posts
Thumb and middle finger is pretty much the way I hold the pick (sorry Mel Bay :( )... especially when I want to cop Ed's style of tremolo-picking (see live "Eruption" solo @ '83 US Festival for more info). Holding the pick that way also makes for some nifty "tormented screams from Hell" pinch harmonics... :lol:

Likewise, if I want to do shred a la Tony MacAlpine or Paul Gilbert, I'll hold the pick the "GIT" way with a closed fist, and a "loose" wrist... :afro:

·
Banned
7,011 Posts
I use my thumb and index for holding my pick, which easily facilitates pinch harmonics... Probabaly too easily! LOL

When I do tapping, I use my thumb to slide my pick from my index finger into the crook of my middle finger and then back, so using my thumb and index makes this an enother easy task between picking and tapping...

Ultimately, it is up to what works best for you. You probabaly don;t have the same hands as Ed or Vai, so yit is probabaly a good idea to see what works best for your style :thumb:

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Great post VanHalenRock!
I used to hold the pick that way too but have weened myself from that for two reasons: 1) it makes it awkward to muffle notes on the fatter strings and most importantly, 2) WHEN YOU WANT TO REACH FOR THE TREM BAR and give it a quick wham, its impossible. I relearned that trem picking technique using the thumb and first finger, so I don't need to switch the pick around just to do it (it does look cooler doing that with the thumb and middle finger though). Still have to make the switch for tapping, but I try not to do allot of that anyway. My fiance' is laughing her ass off standing over my shoulder, she need to get a hobby!

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It feels so easy for me to do it.... everything goes smoothly but you guys know wot it's like you go through these realisation periods where u question your abillity and panic a little ( or is that only me ? ) anyway it's only recently i've been like " omg is it only me that does this? should i re-learn how to play? " etc etc etc lol

·
Registered
270 Posts
FANTASTIC POST!!

I'm glad somebody brought this up! This is one of the fundamental aspects of playing guitar that really can end up defining your style. I mean, when you play a certain way (i.e. pick position, angle of guitar, position of body, etc...) it makes playing certain things easier, and most likely somethings harder. Especially when you are trying something new, you tend to gravite toward playing things that you are good at, for whatever reason that may be. As you mature in your playing and try to push yourself to expand on your short comings, you must figure out what about your physical playing style must you stop/start/enhance/or otherwise alter in order to accomplish whatever you are attempting to play. A very simple example of this in my playing is that I have always felt a lot more comfortable playing guitar with my left foot perched on something about 5-10 inches off of the ground, but then I come across certain musical moments where this body position actually interferes with my playing. In those moments I have to put my foot down, or shift my body or whatever in order to accomodate my playing. Which is pretty much the bottom line...Whatever way you hold your pick, this may make many things much easier for you to play, also somethings, potentially harder. Your challenge (or any musicians challenge for that matter) is figuring out exactly what works for them and what steps they must take to acheive their musical goal. Another very simple personal example from my life...I was playing in a rock/metal band, and I was having trouble keeping a few "all-downstroke" patterns up to speed. What I ended up having to do was end up raising the strap of my guitar by a couple inches and sacrifice some cool points in order to play my parts correctly. It's all a matter of give and take to reach your desired potential. Cheers! ~DJ Snoo~ :werd:

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the replys guys. i agree with you DJ Snoo, there are loadsa little things that i do when i play guitar that make me feel comfortable. for example when i'm sitting playing 90% of the time i have my legs crossed usually my right leg up and over the other one i find it so much easier to play like that. I think all guitar players have these little idiosyncrasies that make us different from each other.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts