Guitars101 - Guitar Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:grin: First, wanted to say how helpful everybody in this community is when asked for advice.

I am changing pickups on several guitars. I finished my Strat a few days ago. I put in a SRV's Texas Specials (set of 3). I have a lot of static noise. I know that Strats are notorious for the buzz but it was not half as bad with the original set.
I had a buddy of mine help me with the soldering (he had worked electrical equip before but no guitars).

I am ready to tear it apart and redo the wiring soldering procees. I followed the (somewhat short) Fender instructions but not sure if I might have left a ground wire loose...:scratch: I also have an Epi Les Paul ready to undergo the surgery and it kills me to think that I may screw this one up too...:icon_neut ...any thoughts before I try this again?

Thanks,

AP

·
Registered
180 Posts
The buzz does sound like a grounding issue, but you could also have crosses some wires somewhere along the line. Dont get discouraged, you cant really screw it up wiring it if you follow the guidelines. Good luck.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
El_jalepeno said:
Recheck the wiring and make sure everything is grounded.
Excuse my extreme ignorance of electrical matters, how many grounds should I have? I recall one cable that was loose and not supposed to hook anywhere...:(

AP

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks, pretty cool site !!! I will give it a try.

Again, thanks to everyone and happy holidays !!!!:jam:

G

·
i concur on the loose ground thing....FWIW the les pauls are pretty easy to wire. if you wired a strat, which is a little more confusing, you can wire a les paul. just solder the wire of the new pickups on to the terminals of each volume pot and ground the shielding jacket to the top of the pots....if im remembering right.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts