Guitars101 - Guitar Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know I've been talking about my pickup problems on this board a lot, and I'm sorry if I'm being a pest. But it's just that everyone on here seems real helpful, so I figure this is the best place to ask.

I'm having trouble installing a JB Jr. in my Fender Jaguar. The way I have it wired is that the red and white wires are both soldered to the bridge pickup on/off switch. And I have the green wire and that one bare wire (it's a four conductor) soldered to a ground point on the guitar. There's also a black wire that's just there.

Does this sound right? I plugged it into my amp, without putting it back together, and I was getting a very loud hum, louder then normal, unless I touched one of the chrome parts.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

-Mike

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think I've got things pretty figured out. I've got it connected and it sounds right. I think. Either the stock Jag pickups are REALLY hot, a lot hotter then I thought, or I still don't have it setup right, but the stock neck pup is a lot louder.

It could be all psychological. You know, size matters and all that :icon_roll

·
Registered
733 Posts
on a 4 conductor duncan the black is your main hot wire, the red and white are soldered together on the switch, and the green and bare are soldered to ground.
looking at the diagram i think the black would go where the white is coming of the small switch to the bridge pickup. green and bare are grounded, then just tie red and white together..dont solder them to anything just together.
that should be able to hot the pickup. ive never wire a jaguar before, so not entirely sure...
but make sure you tie the red and white together, because thats what completes the circuit from one coil of the pickup to the other.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think I've got things all fixed up now. I soldered the red and white together and put soldered them to the on/off switch. Then I soldered the green and bare to the ground point and left the black wire un-soldered. I tried it and it sounds decent. I think I did it right, not 100% sure.

I tried soldering the black wire to the on/off switch and just soldering the red and white wires together and leaving them unconnected to anything else and it sound like ca-ca. I'll probably take it to a pro and have him look it over.

Merry Christmas/Chanuka/Kwanza/Festivus!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.