Guitars101 - Guitar Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
can anybody help me out Im trying to wire my pickup in a meanstreet guitar and im clueless, all the schematics i checked out are different, i think my pickup is missing a wire it only has one red one coming out of it. The pickup is the one that came with it.

Attachments

·
Banned
7,011 Posts
Here you go. The bare wire is your ground, and soldered to the volume pot base, then another wire would go to ground. The white should be your hot, and wired to the prong on the voume. Here is a pic, just mark out what you don't have in thediagram then solder accordingly. There are several articels ion here on wiring and soldering. Just do a search.

http://www.seymourduncan.com/website/support/schematics/humb.html

·
mmmmm.............Beer!!!
695 Posts
Ok, your pickup has what is called 2 conductor wiring (as opposed to 4 conductor wiring which allows it to be coil tapped). The white inner wire is the 'hot' conductor and the metallic screening is the ground conductor. The confusion is that different pickup manufacturers use different colour coding on their conductors. The link shows an example of a Seymour Duncan schematic.
Seymour Duncan 1 humbucker schematic

For wiring your pickup, assuming your only using a single volume with no tone pot, solder your white conductor to the volume pot as per the black conductor in the schematic and solder the metallic screening to ground (usually the back of the pot) and you should be good to go.

Hope this hasn't been too confusing

·
mmmmm.............Beer!!!
695 Posts
Whoops, you beat me too it EJ

·
Banned
7,011 Posts
No chances of getting zapped unless you are soldering while taking a bath
But do use caution while soldering that you don't burn up your volume pot. Only solder where you need to, but again there are several articles here to walk you through it.

·
Registered
485 Posts
is the ground considered the bottom of the volume pot?,....whats that black wire thats soldered on your trem claw in the back where youre springs are...

my pickup i bought for my VH1 copy guitar is a Dimarzio and has a big black wire and inside of it is :

bare wire, black, green, red and white....does this apply the same as the schmatic of that s.ducan?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts