Guitars101 - Guitar Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a blues player so I've never practiced pinch harmonics. Can someone give me some tips on where to start? I started listening to a lot of Vai,EVH,and Satriani after finding this site, so I've been trying to learn some of the techinques for playing their songs. Pinch harmonics seem to give me some trouble though.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
You know, my favorite pinch harmonics are actually by ZZ Top, check out the outro solo to "La Grange" for the coolest use of pinches I've ever heard. If your question is "how can I play pinch harmonics", lol, I have no idea how to explain that. It's just something that you kind of develop as you go along. The trick is to pinch the string in between the pick and your fingers. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
nudge the string with the tip of ur thumb when u pick DOWNSTROKES.. it usually only works with downstrokes.. well, for me anyways hehehe

good luck :)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Pinch harmonics....

It really helps to have your intonation as close to daed on as possible.....and as andrew said works with the downstroke only unless you can hold the pick so that a lower finger can hit the string at the harmonic points on the upstroke.
There is a technique to it but one that you have to adapt to your liking....holding the pick a little deeper in your fingers than usual,or the same if you do this already,plucking the string with the pick and lightly nudging it with a finger and starting from above the neck pickup area and going towards the bridge you can hear a lot of harmonic tones (octaves I believe) after getting used to the areas(practice.practice,practice) you can get killer pinch harmonics without a sweat.And you can do it with the chicken plucking technique also,where you use your thumb and whatever other finger you want(the index is my best)and plucking the same areas with a quick syncopated motion between the two fingers you can get good harmonics also,another one is to lightly flick the string, in the same manner as above,at the 12th fret above whatever the note is fretted at,if playing a hard E,fret any at the 15 fret.......it's all technique and with practice can throw a cool thing into your music....and Billy Gibbons is the true king of pinch harmonics,ulnarian hit the outtro ont he nose,that is a classic of Billy's...whip out or borrow some older ZZ Top and you can here pinch harmonics in a lot of songs,pretty much using all the above mentioned techniques......

G

·
Discussion Starter #5
Cool, thanks for all the help. I've been practicing for the last few hours and I'm starting to get the hang of it. I can see how it will take me quite a bit of practice to get comfortable with it, but it seems like a technique worth working on. I haven't listened to any ZZ Top for a long time so I'll probably pick up a cd today.
I do have one question though; I seem to have the best luck getting nice sounding harmonics when I hold the pick much deeper in my hand than I'm used to. Do you guys hold the pick this way all the time or do you move the pick deeper only when going for the harmonic?

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
i hold the pick deep most of the time and like boshing plenty of harmonic pinches in here and ther ;)
ill b boshing up a version of tush later tonite or tomoro in the battle forum with some pinched harmonics, check it out when its up ;)

·
Ear Candy Distributor
10,268 Posts
Being awkward, (!) I use my little finger to touch the string...it gives me stronger harmonics ala Zakk Wylde. I think I did this becuase I had no-one to explain to me how to get that sound so made it up. I only get about 50% success the other way. :thumb:

·
Registered
2,669 Posts
wahwah said:
Being awkward, (!) I use my little finger to touch the string...it gives me stronger harmonics ala Zakk Wylde. I think I did this becuase I had no-one to explain to me how to get that sound so made it up. I only get about 50% success the other way. :thumb:
That does sound pretty awkward... Maybe I'll try it :)

G

·
Discussion Starter #9
I'll have to experiment with differant ways of doing it, I hadn't even thought of using my little finger, sounds like a cool idea. SLob, I listened to your version of Tush, awesome guitar playing & it gave me a good chance to hear the harmonics. :thumb:

·
Da Blooze Guy
5,854 Posts
I find my self sort of choking up on the pick, and holding it a little tighter. Pinched harmonics seem to be (for me at least) one of those things that seem difficult, but once you do it, you don't see what the problem was in the first place. For the pinches in La Grange, once you get one, just keep hitting them as you move your hand from the bridge to the neck.......soon you will be sounding just like the good Rev. Willie G.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts