Guitars101 - Guitar Forums banner
  • Hello guitar enthusiasts! We are pleased to announce an Ask Me Anything discussion thread with Dutch musician Arjen Lucassen. The AMA will be going live on Tuesday, August 10th, and will run until August 12th, and can be found here. Don't miss out!
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Someone over at the Led Zeppelin forum suggested that I attempt a similar archive for Pink Floyd to the one I created for Led Zeppelin.
Thought it might be useful and I would certainly have appreciated one 20 years ago!

I've stayed away from anything that was included on the Early Years box set apart from including a more definitive representation of their BBC sessions - the sources used for The Early Years weren't great. Some were awful!
I've tried to represent most tours with a recording that is in enjoyable listening quality and which shows the band at their best.
In the case of 1967 and 1968, I've included most of the recordings which exist as there just aren't that many.
I haven't included many gigs from the years without Waters as the performances don't vary that much. In fact, Floyd basically stopped being a band which relied on improvisation from about 1973 onwards so you'll find that I've concentrated on the earlier years because that's when the shows were more unique.
Hope this helps anyone wanting to start a live Floyd collection but doesn't know where to begin.
Enjoy!

·
Premium Member
1,967 Posts
Thanks.

Reactions: Cow47

·
Premium Member
3,375 Posts
I will answer your Grateful Dead post separately but I wonder about the utility of a large Pink Floyd collection from the viewpoint of someone who has a large Pink Floyd collection. I agree that the best "creative" recordings end around the time the band started playing "Dark Side of the Moon" but I find that when it comes to sound quality, I have very few "go to" recordings. Pink Floyd collections also have a problem endemic to collecting The Beatles -- there is nothing new and really hasn't been in quite some time -- and, as a result, so many of these boots just repeat the same material over and over to the point where it becomes a waste of hard drive space. There are bands and musicians that evolve over time and have taken artistic chances, but "Wish You Were the Animals at the Wall" is pretty much one gigantic ego-driven chunk of boredom. My vinyl studio recordings are as good as any show I have if I want to listen to Pink Floyd. I will grab any Waters recording with "Leaving Beirut" and Nick Mason showed some degree of creativity with his tour -- notably in Mason's case because he went back to the pre-1973 material -- but even his shows didn't vary all that much from night to night.

Just some loose thoughts on a hot Saturday night in upstate New York.
Nice read...

Never have been that eloquent...

I am one that doesn't mind dedicating 'space' to drives, different releases remain another version for me.

It appears as if Ayanami, Sigma & Sirene as labels continue to beat at new(old) releases. I celebrate that.

My only suggestion Appleyard is that there should be an ID via an info file within your archive. I have been very excited to search through your Zep (live) material, 341.31 GB folder on MEGA only to be, sorry, disappointed, because I did not find any info within in the uploads. Am I overlooking something there? I have too many variations of dates too mention but gladly will add to the mix if I know what the heck it is derived from.

Nothing but support and admiration for your sharing these massive collections, so there should be no misunderstanding...

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Fair point, Scottie. And I can only apologise. One of the things that started the cloud drive project was a failed hard drive so unfortunately most of these files are ripped from my back up-CD-Rs, meaning I just don't have the info anymore - and hence also the fact that the files are .wavs, not flacs. The day the hard drive failed was a dark day indeed. Lesson learnt, I guess. What I can say is that I always hunted down the best sounding source I could find for each show and replaced recordings as new sources/improved "remasters" came out. Sometimes wish I hadn't sold all the bootlegs I bought over the last 30 years though!

·
Premium Member
1,967 Posts
"It appears as if Ayanami, Sigma & Sirene as labels continue to beat at new(old) releases. I celebrate that."

Any recent examples up on the tracker? I am always willing to spend time listening to releases with significantly improved sound. And I do have multiple versions of some shows. But I try to be selective. My earlier point was that many "new" releases are so often taken from the same multi-gen master that there is not much that is new. I will pay closer attention to that in the case of Pink Floyd. I can more easily see the distinction between sources with Springsteen, the Grateful Dead, and Led Zeppelin.

·
Premium Member
3,375 Posts
Fair point, Scottie. And I can only apologise. One of the things that started the cloud drive project was a failed hard drive so unfortunately most of these files are ripped from my back up-CD-Rs, meaning I just don't have the info anymore - and hence also the fact that the files are .wavs, not flacs. The day the hard drive failed was a dark day indeed. Lesson learnt, I guess. What I can say is that I always hunted down the best sounding source I could find for each show and replaced recordings as new sources/improved "remasters" came out. Sometimes wish I hadn't sold all the bootlegs I bought over the last 30 years though!
Sucks, I know the feeling as well. Once I saw the files I figured that CD-Rs were likely your sources.

If you can remember the sources and if it interests you I would be happy to help with the info files if I have them. PM me with your email and then a listing of the shows/sources and I will get them to you.

In my view no one should ever apologize when the effort to share their collection is the result.

Cheers

"It appears as if Ayanami, Sigma & Sirene as labels continue to beat at new(old) releases. I celebrate that."

Any recent examples up on the tracker? I am always willing to spend time listening to releases with significantly improved sound. And I do have multiple versions of some shows. But I try to be selective. My earlier point was that many "new" releases are so often taken from the same multi-gen master that there is not much that is new. I will pay closer attention to that in the case of Pink Floyd. I can more easily see the distinction between sources with Springsteen, the Grateful Dead, and Led Zeppelin.
I haven't seen any here but I will get you a link where you can pick some up. I could never know which are of better quality, I only pass judgement on what I'm listening to at the time of airing it out. So I can't speak to whether or not any are improvements as I do not listen for comparison, only enjoyment. When I listen to shows which happen to be from the same date they are spread so far apart that it is simply not possible to know. But your point of same Gen and or source different artwork does not fall upon deaf ears or missing your point. I would hope that with boot labels even if sources remain the same any tweaking that was done varies. I know that is not the case by any unwritten rule either. But for completists none of this really matters anyway.

·
Registered
863 Posts
Sucks, I know the feeling as well. Once I saw the files I figured that CD-Rs were likely your sources.

If you can remember the sources and if it interests you I would be happy to help with the info files if I have them. PM me with your email and then a listing of the shows/sources and I will get them to you.

In my view no one should ever apologize when the effort to share their collection is the result.

Cheers

I haven't seen any here but I will get you a link where you can pick some up. I could never know which are of better quality, I only pass judgement on what I'm listening to at the time of airing it out. So I can't speak to whether or not any are improvements as I do not listen for comparison, only enjoyment. When I listen to shows which happen to be from the same date they are spread so far apart that it is simply not possible to know. But your point of same Gen and or source different artwork does not fall upon deaf ears or missing your point. I would hope that with boot labels even if sources remain the same any tweaking that was done varies. I know that is not the case by any unwritten rule either. But for completists none of this really matters anyway.
Thank you Scottie for the help when my Floyd and Solo Floyd Artist took crashed too.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts